BP&W + Cold Water Drysuit Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at different BP&W options right now. I'm planning on doing more regular drysuit diving in the PNW in the near future. I haven't decided whether I will need a 35lb or 40lb wing yet, depending on my fatness and drysuit buoyancy etc. I would like to get away with no weight belt if possible so I'll probably end up having to up with the 40lb wing in the end.

With all that said, I am currently looking at a combination of the Dive Rite steel Transplate XT and harness and couple that with either the Dive Rite Voyager XT wing (35lb) or the Apeks WTX D40 wing (40lb). With those possible setups, can anyone diving similar conditions share how you add weight to your kit?

If I have a steel plate and a steel tank, I assume that's about 10lbs to start with. Where are you guys putting the remaining 20+ pounds, assuming no weight belt? I have seen reference to a V-weight pouch which appears to go in the wedge of the plate. That seems like a nice centralized and non intrusive way of adding another 5lbs or so.

I see other options when pricing out a kit online that include QR packs for attaching to your harness in a place of your choosing. Seems like a good possible solution for the remaining weight needed. I could get in the pool with the baseline fixed weight, see how my trim is, and then decide to either put the QR packs low on my waist webbing or higher in a more vertical configuration.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Get the 40lb wing.

In a drysuit with a 5lb steel BP and a steel HP80, I’d put some weight in trim pockets. I also have a long heavy Halycon STA that a friend poured lead into so it weighs 10lbs. I might put some weight in a DUI weight harness, too. I will dive without ditchable weight. I’m comfortable with the concept from diving doubles and sidemount. I’d not recommend that for the average recreational diver.

The apeks wing is a better wing......if you genuinely need a 40# wing. If you need 30# then the DGX wing is awesome as it’s bullet proof and streamlined enough to use as a warm and cold water wing.

There are lots of options for weight placement. I prefer to only have the minimal amount of ditchable (4-5 lbs) and I hate weight belts so here are some options...
- weighted single tank adapter
- pockets placed on cam bands, waist belt etc.
- soft P weight on the spine
- plate weights
- 6mm backplate
- 2 backplates
- extra cam band with a weight attached to the tank

You can use a combination of these to achieve proper weighting, keep in mind where you put your weights affects your trim.

This video is actually about weighting backmount twinsets. However, you may be able to apply some of the concepts to your situation.

You might want to consider having at least enough lift to support your entire rig without you in it. I use 34 pounds of weight in my coldest drysuit configuration. It is all on the rig. I don't use an additional weightbelt. Add in a full AL80 and it is 3 more pounds negative. I use a 45 pound bladder.

I would look at the Sub Gravity 6mm stainless steel backplate, it weighs 10.1 lbs. Stainless Steel Backplate - Subgravity
Thanks, that seems like an excellent option for distributed weight. I may want to use my kit on travel as well so for right now, I'm leaning towards the standard weight plate and adding what I need for cold water. I think I may be able to use one of those V-weight pouches in the plate wedge and achieve the same thing while easily being able to remove it. Gonna be some more research on those.

Does not a v-weight go between a set of tanks (as in doubles). When I dive a single Al80, I use a 6# Halcyon ss plate with a weighted sta (6#, if I recall). I have 2 cambands and use 4 xs Scuba Pockets, with about 3+3 pounds on bottom and ether 3+3 or 4+4 on top, depending on thermals. Are you diving steel or al tanks? Single I assume (was confused by you refernce to a v-weight)

Does not a v-weight go between a set of tanks (as in doubles). When I dive a single Al80, I use a 6# Halcyon ss plate with a weighted sta (6#, if I recall). I have 2 cambands and use 4 xs Scuba Pockets, with about 3+3 pounds on bottom and ether 3+3 or 4+4 on top, depending on thermals. Are you diving steel or al tanks? Single I assume (was confused by you refernce to a v-weight)

Yea, I’m always confused by the recommendation to use a V/P weight with single tank. Thought it was just for doubles.

Yea, I’m always confused by the recommendation to use a V/P weight with single tank. Thought it was just for doubles.
V can only be used on doubles, but a P can be used on either as it sits in the channel between the Diver and backplate. I have a 2.6kg P which I slot into my twin and single rig for sea dives as it corresponds exactly to my salt / fresh differential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom