Boat recommendation for shark cage diving in Guadalupe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, I presume that is for the surface cages only (I think I read they had a 3-dive 30-minute limit for the submersibles). How does that work if there are people waiting to get in? The Solmar V rotate people every 60 minutes, with unlimited turns. My assumption was that the cages always have people in them (if they don't, then the whole point seems moot since there is nothing to limit).
I called and asked that question to Nautilus, and they said people waiting for the cages dies down after the first day. There are some diehards that want to stay in the cages as long as possible, but waiting is not an issue.

Daniel M said: Yes! The SPOC is an extra $675 per 45-minute immersion. To me this makes the Pelagic Fleet win hands down (and then the choice becomes Solmar V or the more expensive/newer Vortex). I say that on the assumption that the main reason we are all choosing this trip are to view the sharks up close (everything else is important, but secondary), so when one outfit offers something unparalleled like the SPOC, they would have to be actively terrible on every other front to not be chosen. Does that reasoning make sense?

This is just my opinion, but the SPOC at that price is a no-go for me. If it was half that cost or if the $675 was for unlimited use, I may consider it a factor to swing me over to Solmar V. I don't think the SPOC will greatly enhance my GWS experience to warrant the extra cost. In my situation, I'd rather spend the $625 extra for a comfortable room above deck for the entire trip (see my previous post) versus a 45-minute experience. But, hey, if that's what you want to do, it is your bucket list trip and you can make it as grand as you like!:wink:

Edit: Sorry for the weird formatting. Can't figure out why Daniel M's quote wasn't captured properly.

The main complaint I had was that after a few hours standing in a cage with a 30-40 lb weight harness gets grueling; I figured out that the tighter you can cinch it down the less it hurts later.
That sounds very tiring. So do they weight the divers and not the cages to keep you below the surface?

Digging through my topside Solmar V pics ...

20181004_104201.jpg 20181004_110541.jpg 20181004_112210.jpg 20181005_152516.jpg

There is a slightly better ratio of divers to cages on the Belle Amie, that is why I prefer her over the Solmar V for Guadeloupe.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with both boats and for the other insights - really helpful! On the point you made regarding the diver:cage ratio, can you please help me understand it better? From what I gather, Solmar V has 20 guests for 2 surface cages which has to be better than 30 guests for also 2 surface cages that the Belle Amie offers, right? Then there are the submersible cages, which for Solmar V is 20 guests for 1, and for Belle Amie 30 guests for 3 - that may sound better, but if both boats schedule each guest for a maximum of 3 dives in the submersible cages, I fail to see how having more cages helps (and that it is not only better, but so much better to negate the better ratio Solmar V has on the surface cages).

The main complaint I had was that after a few hours standing in a cage with a 30-40 lb weight harness gets grueling; I figured out that the tighter you can cinch it down the less it hurts later. After the first day I was feeling like I'd come off the rack and would have gladly traded the weights, hookah, and cage for a tank, BC, and fins (except you quickly realize that even with 100 ft+ vis and absolutely no obstacles white sharks are still really, really sneaky).

They have to weight the divers, otherwise you're just bobbing up against the top of the cage. You want to be weighted so that you can maintain a steady footing on the cage floor.

Thank you for the detailed report on the Solmar V, including how they clean the stuff, the emergency evac, and the camera charging situation - that was brand new information to me! Also new to me was this point you made about the weights and standing up, which in hindsight is obvious, but it didn't even cross my mind - more motivation for my new year's resolution to get a bit fitter :)

when I was in Socorro last month, the diving blew my mind! My favorite diving is reefs, but the deep blue diving with the large pelagics, sharks, and dolphins was spectacular! It was the best dive trip I've ever done! There was even daytime bioluminescence in the form of blue sparkles and venus girdles which I've only seen while blackwater diving in Kona. I am returning to Socorro in May 2021 for the bait ball season. Socorro is a trip not to be missed and I highly recommend it for a future trip!

I hear you :). The blackwater dive in Kona combined with the Manta dive in the area on the same day, is one of the best 2-dive days I've had! And Socorro is on my list already, but behind half a dozen other diving destinations, so it will have to wait :wink:

Keep in mind, too, the Nautilus trip is 6 days, 5 nights, and the Solmar V trip is 5 days, 4 nights, so your per night cost is less with Nautilus.

That's a great observation, I totally missed that! However, I think they both offer 3 GWS diving days and the same depart for "home" at 5pm on the last day, so the difference seems to be that Solmar V gets you there on the morning of your first dive, versus Belle Amie getting you there the night before to spend the night and start diving the next morning. So, unless I'm missing something, I think I'll call that a negligible advantage to Belle Amie...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom