how to close sb account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAM001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How do I unsubscribe from SB all together. I and several others want to know.

Interesting. If it is not too intrusive a question, what is the background to this decision?

Just change password to something you won’t ever remember, log out, and that’s it.

If you want to go out with a bang, get yourself banned.
Lol

How do I unsubscribe from SB all together. I and several others want to know.
You cannot delete your account, because it really screws up the database when you are deleted. I can change your name and login so that you will no longer be able to login, nor will your board name show up, although a name will be associated with your account and if you come back lurking and know where to look you will see your posts.

If you choose this option, I would have to get permission from Pete, and I would give you a week to cool off.

I am in fact one of the several others. Could not find any way to delete the account, and that was disappointing, so I just removed all the (already limited) personal information from my profile. As for the reason to delete the account, one of my posts was deleted in a recent thread, and that post was only linking a newspaper article freely available on the web. I do not take censorship lightly, so goodbye. There are nice.people and some useful content on here, but that's not enough to accept the censorship. Last but not least, you cannot claim that deleting an account screws the database, when deleting posts for 'moderation' doesn't do the same.

Do not just walk away. Make sure you go into your account and turn off all forms of notifications. I still get emails from another online service I abandoned years ago. I no longer have account access so I can not turn off the emails.

As for your posts? Similar to every other online service ... You do not own them...from the TOS.

"While ScubaBoard or Intermedia Publications, Inc. are not responsible for posts' content, authenticity or accuracy, they retain copyright privileges to all user generated content. ScubaBoard reserves the right to edit, remove, or retain any post."

Last but not least, you cannot claim that deleting an account screws the database, when deleting posts for 'moderation' doesn't do the same.

Maybe they could delete all your posts - I don't know how onerous that would be - but actually deleting the account would be more work than it's worth? I'm not a CS person, but I think it's unfair to question @Wookie's integrity. It's easy enough to simply leave and never return. I've done that with some fb groups - for what I consider egregious offenses. No big deal. I hope you find a community that works better for you.

As for the reason to delete the account, one of my posts was deleted in a recent thread, and that post was only linking a newspaper article freely available on the web. I do not take censorship lightly, so goodbye. .

I also had some posts deleted on a particular thread. While I have to admit that some of my content may have been slightly off topic, it was intended to counter the tone of the primary discussion which had become quite political in nature.

Last but not least, you cannot claim that deleting an account screws the database, when deleting posts for 'moderation' doesn't do the same.
I'm not here to argue with you, as I have no idea who you are nor do I care. Posts may be deleted. If an account is deleted, it screws up the way entire threads (and the board) are indexed. Now, I know as much about running a bulletin board as I do trading commodities in Chicago, which is nothing, but Pete tells us that accounts are not to be deleted because all of the threads that that account has posted in will cause the board to reindex them. I have no idea what reindex involves, nor do I care. I have seen the results of a single account deletion in the 20 years I've been here, and it took a month for the board to stop throwing us error messages.

So my advice is, change your name, and walk away. You want to sit here and argue with staff, keep your name and continue to enjoy your presence here. I really don't care, I didn't know you before you popped up here, and I won't pay attention to you after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom