Diving lights next to camera with strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going to do my first night dive. But I am also using a camera with two strobes that I hold with both my hands. I do not see how I can also hold a dive light during a night dive. How do you guys do so? I see a few diving headlights on the market, but I am not sure those are a great idea.

Mostly it depends. I will most often just dive using my focus light as a light source. Dim, but once your eyes get used to it that is all you really need. I do carry a dive light and if I need more light I just carry it in my left hand and use that hand to both hold the camera and the light. I will drop the light on a lanyard temporarily if I need the hand for more than steadying the camera. I have video lights as well as two strobes so if I really need light I will turn on the video lights, but even just one is way too bright even at its lowest setting. My camera and strobes are very close to neutral so if I need to I can hold it in one hand.

Most housings have a cold shoe on the top of the housing, and that’s where the focus/video light is mounted, sounds like you don’t have this cold shoe. If you have arms on your rig you might find a clamp. Some lights, big blue for example, can slip into a glove and be mounted on the back of your hand. More basic, I would jury rig duct tape or gaffers tape to anything that offered a workable surface.

I use a Sola light attached to my hotshoe of my housing.
phil-green-gloves_dsc6263-jpg.631142.jpg

Mostly it depends. I will most often just dive using my focus light as a light source. Dim, but once your eyes get used to it that is all you really need. I do carry a dive light and if I need more light I just carry it in my left hand and use that hand to both hold the camera and the light. I will drop the light on a lanyard temporarily if I need the hand for more than steadying the camera. I have video lights as well as two strobes so if I really need light I will turn on the video lights, but even just one is way too bright even at its lowest setting. My camera and strobes are very close to neutral so if I need to I can hold it in one hand.

Thanks, I am using two Z330 strobes that have a 220lm focus light each. I do not know if this would be sufficient (I never use these lights during the day time).
I will try this out and if I find it insuffient I can indeed mount a light on top of the hotshoe, didn't think about that.

upload_2020-12-24_15-44-16.jpeg

Thanks, I am using two Z330 strobes that have a 220lm focus light each. I do not know if this would be sufficient (I never use these lights during the day time).
I will try this out and if I find it insuffient I can indeed mount a light on top of the hotshoe, didn't think about that.

Likely all you need. My strobe focus light is a Ikelite 161 strobe with a 500lm light so a bit brighter than the Z330. I find that I almost never need anything else and the only reason for anything else is so I can poke a flashlight somewhere the focus light won't go so another light attached to the camera won't help with that unless you have some sort of quick release on it.

My light is on a Goodman handle in my left hand. When photographing, I turn my left wrist bring the light closer to or farther away from the subject, as the situtation dictates. E.g., I may bring the light closer to enable focussing, then lock the focus, move the light away and take the picture, with my right hand on the shutter release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom