Henderson Greenprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 3 mm Henderson Thermoprene Pro full suit wore out and was falling apart. I replaced it with the same suit in Greenprene. I did 20 dives in SE Florida with it.

The wetsuit seems to be the same cut as my previous one. It was very easy to don and very comfortable. It appears to be a little more buoyant. I always used 8 lbs with the Thermoprene Pro, with or without a 5/3 hooded vest, a back inflate BC, and AL80. I was light at my safety stop with 8 lbs. At 9 lbs, I was just OK at the SS but a little light on the final ascent. I used 10 lbs for the rest of the visit and was fine. the Greenprene suit is quite warm, I think a little warmer than the Thermoprene Pro, even when it was newer.

So, now for the endurance test, we'll see how long it holds up.

Can you comment on sizing? I’m 6 ‘, 180. Would large be right size for me?

I"m 5'10", the same weight, fits me perfectly. I've had several Henderson wetsuits, they all seem to be cut the same way, large has always fit me well.

It looks like you are in the range for large, seems like it should fit. The Greenprene is currently on sale at LeisurePro, perhaps other places too. If you get one, I'd be interested in how you find the buoyancy.

You may need an XL or maybe 2XL at your size. I'm 6'1" and 235 and I wear a 3XL in a Henderson wetsuit. Best idea is to go to a LDS if possible and try them on for the proper fit.

Esprise, how do you find your Thermaxx? I tried one one and it felt nice and comfy and stretchy, but I haven't been in the water with one. If the Greeneprene doesn't work out, Thermaxx would be my next choice at this point. Do you like yours?
I have a Thermaxx in 7 mm and like it. The large-short fits me well, is easy to don and is warm with a hooded vest in California waters 60 degree F.

Update for those still wondering. Had about 35 dives on the HG over the last month.

Neoprene reaction : none, this is great news for me (and hopefully anyone else with said allergy) Previously I had to wear a Lavacore underneath my 5mm Pinnacle to stay rash free.

Buoyancy: still seems super buoyant but I was able to use less weight towards the latter dives. With aluminum tanks, I was down to 14#. With Aldora and 120 steels, I used 4 and was pretty overweighted, could have gotten by with 2.

Wear: a few threads raveled but nothing major, seems to be holding up quite well.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat if nothing else, because I don't have to carry a lot of extra stuff to suppress the allergy.

Good luck and diving to all.

PS - Coz is VERY quiet with the absence of cruisers. First signs went up today at Chedraui WRT CV19. I wish the people of the island the very best and thank you for your continued hospitality!
Merfman, I am having a very similar experience to yours on the Greenprene with respect to buoyancy. I dove it a couple of months ago and started with an obscene amount of weight with my rebreather, noting that later in the week I was able to drop weight. Cut to last week, and I just went with the weighting I ended up with at the end of the week last time I dove it. I could NOT get down. I had to go back up in weight where I felt overweighted at depth. I have to weigh myself at the beginning of the week with quite a bit more than I would use in a 7mm.

Merfman, I am having a very similar experience to yours on the Greenprene with respect to buoyancy. I dove it a couple of months ago and started with an obscene amount of weight with my rebreather, noting that later in the week I was able to drop weight. Cut to last week, and I just went with the weighting I ended up with at the end of the week last time I dove it. I could NOT get down. I had to go back up in weight where I felt overweighted at depth. I have to weigh myself at the beginning of the week with quite a bit more than I would use in a 7mm.
I’m close to 100 dives on this suit now. Still seems super buoyant to me but I’ve adjusted. Thanks for the feedback!!

I’m close to 100 dives on this suit now. Still seems super buoyant to me but I’ve adjusted. Thanks for the feedback!!
I've got the 7mm for diving SoCal and I've had the same experience with buoyancy still at over 50 dives. The material this suit is made of is super buoyant above 20ft.. below that and it compresses to act like a more traditional neoprene suit. I'd advise anyone looking to purchase this suit to be more mindful during ascents to make sure you don't blow through your safety stop.
Other than that I do love the suit, pretty warm, super stretchy and comfortable. A few unraveled threads to be expected but no major issues to worry about.

My 3mm Greenprene suit requires 25% more weight at the SS and ascent, 10 lbs rather than the 8 lbs I used for many years with a variety of 3mm suits.

Pacific Wilderness, a dive shop near me, posted this review on Facebook. Highlights for those who can't open it: sizing runs large, material feels warm and high-quality while still being stretchy, buoyancy is typical for the thickness, compression feels the same as other suits.
Pacific Wilderness
I have the Greenprene in a 5mm. It is super buoyant at around 15ft/3m. It makes holding a safety stop really difficult even if using an additional 4kg/9# of weight. Even more so if your tank is getting low on air. ( I weigh 128# and wear US size 6s and I had to double my weight and still popped to the surface.

At depth it’s like regular neoprene, but you need to be overweighted.

Yes it’s super warm and super stretchy l, but I will never dive in it again. Great for snorkelling as you just float.

Henderson suits are top notch. Love my Greenerpene and highly recommend it. Easy on, easy off. Very comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom