Which course for Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi If you really want to formalise it, it might be better to take an adv nx and deco procedures course than these "solo" specialties. My 2 pesos :)

I have done DECO with BSAC but may take the TDI Advanced Nitrox in the future as already have nitrox cert. I think if I was to do solo diving I am going to most likely plod around within NDL limits on Nitrox 32% and not be going too deep probably 25m maybe 30m.

I am interested in doing a course for Solo diving in the future.

There are different agencies offering similar type courses. Padi Self Reliant, SDI etc
Appreciated for those who have done courses what they liked about them. I may choose the SDI course but no committed to any agency yet.

I am not looking to be a frequent solo diver but want to learn from the course materials.
There is one one criteria. Return to the surface alive, then you’ll get signed off. There is no way anyone can assess what you did underwater, otherwise you’re not solo.

The solo ticket is good on the off chance an operator deems you capable
Padi do not want you to dive alone they want you to be a self reliant diver
There is no course available that will aid you in preparation for solo diving

Solo diving is organising your thoughts with regards to your surroundings
unaccompanied
which cannot be taught you are either capable or you are not a diver or not

I took the SDI course a few years ago. I had a great instructor and really enjoyed the course. As mentioned, however, not all operators permit solo diving so you may find yourself having to pair up with a DB. Biggest take away for me was integrating redundancies into dive planning. While I had been doing some of this while diving locally and regularly becoming separated from DB due to viz, the SDI course brought it all together.

Hi @BLACKCRUSADER

After diving solo for about 10 years, with operators who knew me, I took the SDI Solo course in 2013 Solo diver course It was an excellent course, with an instructor who I had known for several years from diving with the operator.

My suggestion is to take the course from a skilled and knowledgeable instructor you already know, or to pick one with numerous good reviews, preferably, from divers you trust.

@BLACKCRUSADER

One other thing to check about the course:

Make sure the instructor has you do actual SOLO dives as part of the course, if you do the SDI course. I have heard of instructors that didn’t require that.

@BLACKCRUSADER

One other thing to check about the course:

Make sure the instructor has you do actual SOLO dives as part of the course, if you do the SDI course. I have heard of instructors that didn’t require that.
My SDI course had two dives, all exercises and skills, no separate, independent solo dive. I'm quite sure it is not required for the certification. Not that it is a bad idea, I had already been solo diving in a variety conditions for quite a while before I was certified.

My SDI course had two dives, all exercises and skills, no separate, independent solo dive. I'm quite sure it is not required for the certification. Not that it is a bad idea, I had already been solo diving in a variety conditions for quite a while before I was certified.

My class had two dives. Two first day with instructors, all skills. Second day, two solo graduation dives. You had to come back by the time you said you’d be back. If you didn’t, they went looking for you. I know of other instructors who will bubble watch from quarry shore, and those also require a SMB to be shot at specific points in the dive.

The final dive of my PADI course was a planned solo dive. The goal was to plan a dive then dive the plan, shoot a DSMB and return to the dock and instructor (bubble watching) in the planned time and with the planned gas remaining.

My class had two dives. Two first day with instructors, all skills. Second day, two solo graduation dives. You had to come back by the time you said you’d be back. If you didn’t, they went looking for you. I know of other instructors who will bubble watch from quarry shore, and those also require a SMB to be shot at specific points in the dive.
I would imagine that your two solo graduation dives were an add-on

Back
Top Bottom