• I don't know

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • They still call it Devil gas !

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I do it in my garage

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only know of one local shop that doesn't provide some flavor of Nitrox and they're going out of business.....

Not all dive stores in my area have Nitrox, but some claim to and have their clients tanks filled at my LDS. :confused:

I didn't have to do any dives for Nitrox certification , but I had to do several dives for advanced Nitrox.

SDI/TDI Nitrox certification allows use of 22% to 40% nitrox to a maximum depth of 130 fsw/40 msw. They teach you to always analyze for yourself, the mixture in the tank before you use it.

SDI/TDI Advanced Nitrox cetification allows use of all standard and custom nitrox mixes including 100% oxygen as primary and decompression gases to a max depth of 150 fsw.

No, sadly my LDS, the only LDS in town, does not have it. They offer the certification course, though. I am guessing that Nitrox fills are available in the next town of decent size...40 miles away.:(

Yes, ours does. But I don't use it. The prices are much too high.

I've gotten together with a couple of friends and put together a mix station in one guy's garage. Nitrox, helium, argon. We top off at the LDS with air.

If you dive a lot, the price savings can be HUGE. And you can mix to your dive plan.

It's not for everyone.....

Originally posted by detroit diver
Yes, ours does. But I don't use it. The prices are much too high.

What is too high? The counter quip would also have to be what is your (increased) safety worth?

Originally posted by detroit diver

I've gotten together with a couple of friends and put together a mix station in one guy's garage. Nitrox, helium, argon. We top off at the LDS with air.

Do you tell your LDS that you have Oxygen in the tank? Is the air they top up your tank with suitable for blending?

If not, you are directly and knowingly putting them in harms way. :upset:

I am just asking the question, I am not accusing you or anybody.

Here is why:

Three years ago I had a guy come in to get his 46 cu ft stage bottle topped up with air and while I was filling it he asked to have it as close to 2200 psi as possible.

When I got suspicious he confessed he had pure O2 in the tank. The air from the compressor had not been checked for O2 compatibility or been hyper filtered for partial pressure blending.

Also I used no special technique to fill the tank such as swirling and slow fill speeds typically used when blending ( you know - all that stuff you learned in your blender course).

To top it all off the tank which ironically had been professionally cleaned had been grossly contaminated when he switched valves on it to accomodate a different regulator. The new valve had never been O2 cleaned and was full of silicone grease. (Oh and by the way, he wasn't even nitrox certified - his buddy with the garage setup was the only one with a nitrox cert and it was basic nitrox)

Luckily nether one of use were hurt and nothing happened other than me draining the tank far away from the shop and reading him the riot act.

I am sure you are nothing like this guy, but I post this so people know if something happens they are the ones who will be in court to face charges or maybe something much, much worse.

Points to ponder..........

Originally posted by gadget

Do you tell your LDS that you have Oxygen in the tank? Is the air they top up your tank with suitable for blending?

If not, you are directly and knowingly putting them in harms way. :upset:

They know exactly what is in the tanks. I would never attempt to hide the contents. In addition, it's me doing the filling so I'm taking most of the risk.

Their air is top notch (cant' remember the filter code) and the filter is changed often. This is a very busy shop and they take care of their clientele very well.

What is too high? The counter quip would also have to be what is your (increased) safety worth?

My safety is worth knowing what I'm doing and doing it well. In addition, I can blend to my dive plan and not have to take standard mixes. And that includes helium mixes, which are not available at the LDS. That's what started this all. We were forced to go our own way.

Just to provide some numbers for you, let look at this example:

T bottle O2 prox 250 cuft prices range from $25 - $40.
Using the high end, each cuft costs $0.16 (40/250).
Standard AL80 w/ 32% O2 is 25.6 cuft X .16/cuft = $4.096

Listen, if you're only diving once every couple of months, blending it yourself makes no sense at all. But we dive twice a week. It really adds up to huge savings. Especially when you add the helium into the equation. Most shops don't even carry helium, and those that do can charge up to $100 or more for a set of double 104's. Our cost-about the same as O2, or maybe slightly higher. The cost of the equipment paid for itself within one year.

Let me add this caveat. Don't even think of attempting this at home without proper training. O2 is not something to screw around with if you're not well trained. It's just not worth it.

Dive safe. Blend safe.

I got confused, I thought this thread was on Nitrox availability. I of course understand that tri-mix is beyond the scope of the question.

Assuming you did want just garden verity Nitrox, what is your LDS charging?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom