Going to Cozumel Dec29-Jan6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ducatiwv

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to do some shallower dives while there, had open heart surgery 2 years ago , safe to dive but wanted to stay within 40-50ft , so any dive boats or sites you would recommend would be appreciated , Glad I joined this board btw, I m Larry, and hope to become a regular. I m staying at the Occidental , and also wanted to rent a car for the week, so any suggestions on who to use for that also would be helpful. Haven't been there in several years but wanted to tour the island by car, is it safe and is the road to Mezacalitos still open?

Hi Larry, and welcome to SB! I'd get in touch with Carlos or Alison at Scuba With Alison and see if you could hire a guide to keep you at the depth you prefer. The first dive of a 2-tank morning is generally deep (60+ feet), but the boat can drop of the 'deep' group and then drop you and a guide somewhere else. We dove with them earlier in the month and we prefer shallow dives - we had one day we were the only divers on the boat so we did two shallow dives. It was very nice. Love the boat - really enjoyed diving with Carlos.

Hello Larry. If you are diving solo, I would recommend you getting a private divemaster to ensure you are staying shallow. You can do most dive sites with that option. Mezcallitos road is open.
Awesome!!! Thank you, I will have a dive buddy with me , but to be honest, I always like a divemaster anyway, because I m still under 100 dives and they always know the best place to go:). I can't believe I've been to Cozumel 10 times when I didn't dive, I could kick myself lol...I ll be 60 Jan 1, and hate I wasted so much time not pursuing this wonderful obsession

Hi Larry, and welcome to SB! I'd get in touch with Carlos or Alison at Scuba With Alison and see if you could hire a guide to keep you at the depth you prefer. The first dive of a 2-tank morning is generally deep (60+ feet), but the boat can drop of the 'deep' group and then drop you and a guide somewhere else. We dove with them earlier in the month and we prefer shallow dives - we had one day we were the only divers on the boat so we did two shallow dives. It was very nice. Love the boat - really enjoyed diving with Carlos.
Thanks so much Kimela, that sounds perfect for us, I just dont want to push my depths to far right now, I ve dove shallow , but really dont want to go past 60ft. , I ll definitely give them a call

Hello Larry. If you are diving solo, I would recommend you getting a private divemaster to ensure you are staying shallow. You can do most dive sites with that option. Mezcallitos road is open.
I m taking some camera gear and 2 strobes, I wanted to take a DJI mini drone , but was wondering if that would be pushing it as far as customs, do you have any thoughts on that?

In the marine park , where you will be diving, there is suppose to be a licensed guide with every so many divers, 6-8 not sure.

Divers choice of shallow sites will problably mean smaller boats and a boutique dive op. If you rent the whole boat then you can do what you want but will cost alot. Otherwise you may need to negotiate with other divers for sites if you have divers choice of sites. One possiblity is if a group goes on deeper dive like Palancars, Santa rosa, San Fransicso, etc is to split off with your DM/guide and stay up on top. You will need to organize this with the dive op and it will cause some work for the capatin to get two pickups as you will be seperated unless you have really good organization to meet up UW at the end (and not guaranteed). My dive op has done this for students with another DM but there will need to be discussion beforehand about timing, other DM, SMBs, etc. Seems you are arriving tomorrow so maybe you'll have to organize this when you are here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom