Regulator configuration for rec diving

What is your regulator configuration for rec diving?

• Short hose primary with integrated second

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 40 " primary with integated second

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with integrated second

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Short hose primary with 40" Octo

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 40" primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • Other, explain in post

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • A version of sidemount

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • A version of double hose

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took a trip to the keys this weekend using a borrowed single bcd. I sold my old rec setup to a friend, so I had to BS it with the sidemount setup I had. The result is this abomination. Waay too much long hose (wrapped around me twice), and an SPG that made me look like a teletubby (flex hose, had to pull it into my FOV). Oh, and the inflator hose I had was about a 6" too long, and their inflator corrugated hose was already 3-6 inches longer than I would prefer. Definitely interesting, but it worked out just fine. Before people mention it, I did clean up the hose routing with the primary short hose before jumping in.
upload_2020-12-28_11-15-20.png

I dive a balanced rig no matter the level of dive. That includes a BP/W, primary (Goodman handle) light, 7ft primary reg and bungeed second. This is the way.

@lowwall - I use a 96" (8') hose. I'm 6'-7"......

Seven foot is perfect for most divers. It routes under a sheath and stays there. The hose stays against your body throughout the dive.

7ft is only necessary for single file air sharing in restrictions. It is not 'perfect' for OW diving without a canister light. I know this because I use both the 7ft and 5ft hoses frequently, diving in both OW and in caves. And I'm mr. average when it comes to size, maybe a little on the smaller side but not much. For OW routing, under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder and around behind the head is the cleanest, most streamlined long hose configuration I am aware of. I wouldn't consider 40" on a swivel a long hose.

I'm only 17 miles from DGX. I can stop in and pick up a hose. I just need to decide whether I want a 4' for underarm or want to try a 6' for around the back of the neck.

If you find 5ft really short, you could try 6ft, but if it's only a little short, like you can put the reg in your mouth but it just feels tight, I would try the coupler and experiment. 6" makes a big difference.

7ft is only necessary for single file air sharing in restrictions. It is not 'perfect' for OW diving without a canister light. I know this because I use both the 7ft and 5ft hoses frequently, diving in both OW and in caves. And I'm mr. average when it comes to size, maybe a little on the smaller side but not much. For OW routing, under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder and around behind the head is the cleanest, most streamlined long hose configuration I am aware of. I wouldn't consider 40" on a swivel a long hose.
I route my 7 foot hose under my knife sheath and the hose is very streamlined. When sharing air, the 7 footer allows you to swim side by side, not just single file. It's great for open water.

Reactions: OTF
I route my 7 foot hose under my knife sheath and the hose is very streamlined. When sharing air, the 7 footer allows you to swim side by side, not just single file. It's great for open water.

The 5 ft hose also allows for side-by-side swimming while air sharing. The 7ft hose is only needed specifically for single file air sharing in restrictions. That's why cave divers developed it's use. And what about divers that don't have a belt mounted knife sheath, which is likely the vast majority of divers?

To each his own. As I said, I have used both 5ft and 7ft hoses for years. That's how I know, from experience, which works better in which situations. It's too bad that standard, stock hoses aren't available in 4" or 6" increments from 5ft to 7ft. Then it would be easy to find just the right length for each diver's size. That's where the coupler comes in.

Conventional setup, though, occasionally without an octopus while solo diving -- with a pony bottle, more often than not.

Sometimes, though, just the primary and SPG, plus depth gauge in shallower waters, along with an analogue watch . . .

Both of mine are the exact same length - came that way and seem fine, I think I may have answered the poll incorrectly. But that is what we use.

Only annoyance, have to resecure donate second stage after every giant stride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom