Question for advice about snorkeling destinations in Florida.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all. I was hoping you might be able to help me with some travel info.

We live in florida. I dive, my wife does not. I'm looking for areas in the state that have good snorkeling that are accessible without a boat. I can always hop on a charter or throw on some gear if I want to dive but I'm primarily looking for good shore snorkeling spots.

The wife enjoys shell hunting and looking at pretty fish. She also enjoyed sharks tooth hunting off venice beach while I was on a charter so she's game for most types of snorkeling. We're pretty easy going on the trips and I'm not necessarily looking for Caribbean type snorkeling, just places that are interesting. I know that's a vague description so let me know what you've found or any ideas you have. Only limits are in Florida and no boat required.

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Have a good day.

may not be what you are looking for but what about ginnie springs ? or seeing manatees in crystal river ?

Thanks for the reply. Actually we were looking for something when it gets warmer. She's not a fan of cold water. Wears a wetsuit in an 83º pool :)

+1 on Crystal River, we’re coming into the right time of year. The Keys would also be worth looking at.
Erik

I liked blue heron bridge - nice amenities. I dove it but looked like a lot of cool snorkle areas.

Have to be mindful of the tides.

+2 on Crystal river - it was really cool (both figuratively and literally)

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea... You could actually dive with her while she snorkels. For free.

I have heard the same - that is actually kinda cool, my daughter and I did the same thing in Bonaire

Several folks recommended LBTS to us.

My daughter and I enjoyed John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park — on one of the keys closest to main land. Mostly the main area where they have some artificial ship wreck stuff, some cannons and a bell or plaque underwater.

It was a couple years ago and I was still green and scared to go in the deeper area... but from what little I did, I’m pretty sure I saw some pretty large fish in the darker water.

lots of tropical fish, smaller (1 foot, maybe 1.5), in the shallow areas.

Then we took a ride on an awesome tour boat from Key West and saw some real stuff.

Nothing else around Miami, Fort Lawderdale, or Port Pierce (?), was worth mentioning... mostly disappointed with those beaches even just for swimming. Not much different from Galvastan Texas.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming. I'll check out Lauderdale by the sea. I've also thought about taking the kayaks and snorkeling around the mangrove islands and cuts in the keys. It looks interesting there from video I've seen but I don't know how feasible it really is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom