Primary for my future tec class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe UWLD did switch from an 8 degree hot spot to a 6 degree in the current generation. Should be better to signal with.

honestly still not very educated on which gland i want. Top or side. Classes will be on the 1st week of january... but i'll keep you in mind. seems like a good deal. Im from the Philippines by the way... i do have a US address and can do paypal.

Generally speaking, backmount divers will mount the light on the right hip and use a top gland, while sidemount divers almost always mount the light on their butt and use a side gland. (You may already now that!) I bought this light for my sidemount cave class. When I was diving backmount doubles, I used a top gland. I have since had a few conversations with divers who have told me that the side gland is fine for backmount as well (the cord is a few inches longer) but I have not tried it. I love the quality of the light, I'm just considering going cordless for the dives that I do, which are two hours or less in very clear water. The big advantage of a good canister light is the burn time at high power.

If I'm not mistaken, GUE tends to be a backmount doubles world; I really don't know how (or if) that organization does sidemount. I think it's really good to be able to dive both configurations depending on the environment you're in. I always liked diving backmount, but since practically everyone in the Mexico cave scene (where I dive) dives sidemount, and the caves there are more sidemount-friendly, it made sense to switch.

Generally speaking, backmount divers will mount the light on the right hip and use a top gland, while sidemount divers almost always mount the light on their butt and use a side gland. (You may already now that!) I bought this light for my sidemount cave class. When I was diving backmount doubles, I used a top gland. I have since had a few conversations with divers who have told me that the side gland is fine for backmount as well (the cord is a few inches longer) but I have not tried it. I love the quality of the light, I'm just considering going cordless for the dives that I do, which are two hours or less in very clear water. The big advantage of a good canister light is the burn time at high power.

If I'm not mistaken, GUE tends to be a backmount doubles world; I really don't know how (or if) that organization does sidemount. I think it's really good to be able to dive both configurations depending on the environment you're in. I always liked diving backmount, but since practically everyone in the Mexico cave scene (where I dive) dives sidemount, and the caves there are more sidemount-friendly, it made sense to switch.

Will be doing back mounts. We dont have that kind ov caves to merit the need of sidemounts. Maybe for future class

GUE does sidemount. It's very cave specific, so you'll never see a GUE diver using it on a boat. But the gear configuration is actually pretty flexible. For example, I use a cordless light in sidemount, but there would be nothing wrong with a side gland light. It's just something that needs to be agreed upon within the team. Orifices up or down, exact hose routing and configuration, etc are all discussions within the class rather than strict requirements as each decision has pros and cons. It generally follows the format of right post 7ft hose, left post necklace, but it isn't as regimented. It's still a new class, but it's structured more as a guided workshop for experienced cave divers looking to gain access to more advanced environments with the understanding that while you're never solo diving, you may need to be able to function as if you are in some situations and that will drive certain gear and procedure decisions that need to be worked out within the team. It's one of the more interesting classes I've ever taken

But as far as side gland light for someone just getting into the C1/C2 pipeline, no I don't think it would be received well in the more traditional and strictly defined backmount configuration.

Go with top gland for backmount
GUE is so strict they probably won’t even allow a side gland light.

There is no requirement, but side glad is generally not recommended for backmount in a cave environment. While it is 'usable', when a side glad is utilized in a backmount configuration I have seen those extra couple inches cause the cord to drag much more in the clay and mud and the extra slack allows it to get caught more frequently-this is especially true in smaller sections of cave.

If you're buying a light specifically for backmount doubles, get a top gland.

SM dives have used both side gland and top gland lights--it can vary based on body type and where the canister is mounted--butt mounted or side mounted like on a set of doubles. If it was for SM, I would try to borrow both types and test different configurations to find the one I prefer. I still tend to lean top gland, but I also don't butt mount my canister when diving sidemount.

Well my wife just took her brand new focus 2.0 on it's first dive today (about a 4.5 hour dive). Light worked the whole time, but the head is full of water (photo attached). We've heard from multiple people about various issues with the 2.0, but this is one I hadn't seen yet. I'm sure EE and Halcyon will replace or fix it no questions asked, but what's going on with the Halcyon quality? I'm a little disappointed.
63098782720__E6A38D20-34A0-440A-B96B-53A415B362BB.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom