Critter ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't find my fish ID book - and I'm not sure these would be in it anyway. Can any of you tell me what I'm seeing please?

The first is a slug (I assume) - wondering if there is a nickname or a scientific name. The second is the red, feathery thing hanging down by the splendid toad fish. I don't know if it's flora or fauna. Ideas?

A0842ACE-F6C9-4094-B285-05BD9FAFB391_1_201_a.jpeg
49D9DE27-8EE7-45E0-8626-6D49027C48E5_1_201_a.jpeg

You need the Creature ID book. The first looks like a Flapping Dingbat bubble snail.
upload_2020-12-29_12-29-57.png

The second is tougher. Kind of Feather Star/Crinoid-like,,,,but not enough arms visible. Maybe a horseshoe worm?

Is that a crab above and right? And another little guy nestled in to the lower right of the Splendid Toad fish.
Screenshot_20201229-131407.png

The very first is also known as "spanish dancer" - the scientific name is aplysia.

I'm inclined to believe it's a Flapping Dingbat (doesn't hurt that it has a great nickname!!). It is really teeny - but I did wonder if it would look like a Spanish Dancer if it unfolded. There were 4 or 5 of them in the area - all marked a little bit differently but mostly the same.

I don't think the thing hanging down from above the toadfish is any kind of sea worm. I have pics of several horseshoe worms that don't look anything like this (one attached - not great clarity). Still a mystery to be solved ... I'll have to go back for more pictures!

6E6D05C0-D1B6-4E2A-90BE-4155C8071CE8_1_201_a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom