Why Long Hose Follow up - Air Sharing Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Follow-up video summarizing fantastic comments and questions on the last video - taken from YouTube, Facebook, and Scuba Board. Thanks to everyone for the views and comments.

Good video. One thing I'd like to stress for long-hosers and this is also important no matter what your configuration is, is to test the alternate reg as soon as you go underwater. I always test both regs top side but early in the dive I switch to my bungied second to make sure it breathes normally. After all, in an OOA emergency the bugied second is MY source of air. If it doesn't work I'm calling the dive.

Good video. One thing I'd like to stress for long-hosers and this is also important no matter what your configuration is, is to test the alternate reg as soon as you go underwater. I always test both regs top side but early in the dive I switch to my bungied second to make sure it breathes normally. After all, in an OOA emergency the bugied second is MY source of air. If it doesn't work I'm calling the dive.

I usually use my secondary for a full dive every 15 dives or so. Not just test it on the surface.

Follow-up video summarizing fantastic comments and questions on the last video - taken from YouTube, Facebook, and Scuba Board. Thanks to everyone for the views and comments.

May I just say in regard to the person that you said preferred a shorter hose for control, you actually have a choice with a long hose.

We're trained to initially donate the reg with only the amount of long hose that is already out, so about half. We then ensure the receiver accepts it, starts breathing from it, and we switch to our backup. Once we've assessed that the situation is under control, then we can pull out the remaining hose. If the receiver needs close contact, you don't have to pull out the rest of the hose at all.

Small thing, but just so they know, donating a long hose doesn't necessarily mean all or nothing. :)

I'll be changing to a long hose and am interested in best practices for a photographer with a large camera housing and a pair of large strobes. I assume with a panicked diver I may need to drop my housing regardless of configuration but with a calm, familiar buddy, I would think a long hose would be much more comfortable if I was able to keep hold of the housing.

I'll be changing to a long hose and am interested in best practices for a photographer with a large camera housing and a pair of large strobes. I assume with a panicked diver I may need to drop my housing regardless of configuration but with a calm, familiar buddy, I would think a long hose would be much more comfortable if I was able to keep hold of the housing.

I have my camera gear tethered to my left chest d-ring. In an out of air situation when I have my camera set up (a housed Olympus with dual strobes), I simply let go of the camera gear (which is a bit negatively bouyant) and don't pay it any attention until after I get my reg back fromt he OOG diver.

This works well both in drills and in the one real life situation in which I had to donate gas to a panicky OOG diver. The camera fell down and out of the way. It didn't interfere with getting the air share started, or with controlling the situation as we made our ascent or even with the panicky diver at the surface. I didn't give it any bit of attention until after I had gotten the diver positively buoyant and towed him to the boat ladder. Only then, did I reach down and retrieve it, using the tether.

I have my camera gear tethered to my left chest d-ring. In an out of air situation when I have my camera set up (a housed Olympus with dual strobes), I simply let go of the camera gear (which is a bit negatively bouyant) and don't pay it any attention until after I get my reg back fromt he OOG diver.

This works well both in drills and in the one real life situation in which I had to donate gas to a panicky OOG diver. The camera fell down and out of the way. It didn't interfere with getting the air share started, or with controlling the situation as we made our ascent or even with the panicky diver at the surface. I didn't give it any bit of attention until after I had gotten the diver positively buoyant and towed him to the boat ladder. Only then, did I reach down and retrieve it, using the tether.

Thanks.

I suppose that is possible but my rig is huge and will be noticeable if tethered. I don't know your Olympus model and how long your tether is. I have a Full Frame, Pro size Nikon D3s body in an Aquatica Housing with a pair of Ikelite DS161 Strobes on long, multi-joint arms plus a focus light. The ports and domes are also very large. It is close to neutrally buoyant but would sink at depth.

Your camera setup is larger than mine, but I don't think that that would be an issue. I use a Cetacea coil lanyard and when I'm using it, the shortening clip isn't engaged. So, when I let go, the camera rig will sink down well out of the way. Even a larger sytem would be out of the way.

ct-crl11_1.jpg

When the other diver is panicking, grabs your long hose aggressively choking you with the hose itself , how do you react??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom