Madeira October 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60plus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I have not done much diving this year due to Covid, managed to get 10 days in Madeira in Mid October.

See video in above link, I am the one with the all yellow tank, no hood and yellow / translucent Mares fins. Although not on video there were two large grouper and a large crab in the wreck.Could have enjoyed to spend more time looking at the turbine etc but we were at over 30m and right on going into deco.

https://www.facebook. com/joseferdinando.correia/videos/3716338445063627

As video link can't be embedded I have pasted it with a space inserted after the dot following facebook. Remove the space before com

What other dive spots did you dive in the archipelago? Did you like it? What about the dive center?

I have been in Madeira but before my OW so it is one of the places in Portugal where I haven't dived yet.

The dive on the video is the Pronto wreck just outside Funchal harbor. I have dived nearly all the sites from Camara de lobos in the West to nearly Funchal airport in the East. Its good diving to about 30m with good visibility. There is the Afonso wreck, Gow Cave, T Reef and Garajau, all with lots of fish. Club Navel for Moray eels.There is good diving on Porto Santo but I have not dived it yet because it involves extra cost and 2 days travel. There is an interesting dive further West on the wreck of the Bow Belle sand dredger. The dive centre does not go there often as it is 45 minutes + on the boat and the wreck is near 40 m so the dive is short. The dive centre (Madeira Divepoint) is at the Pestana Carleton Hotel and is very good. We go as a holiday with diving, rather than going just for diving and Madeira is great for this. Once the covid situation is a bit more settled we hope to book two weeks for this Autumn when water is at its warmest.

Back
Top Bottom