Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am speaking when you are on OC. Weren't you one of the most ardent anti-AI on SB not too long ago (on OC of course)?

Prior to release of the Perdix, I was against it because there were no computers that were "worth it". You had to make compromises in the computer itself to get air integration, the casio style screens with horrific user interfaces were more expensive than a Petrel, and the Suunto's are garbage. Once the Perdix AI came out though, I bought into that system and have always been "for" it.

Maybe, but every time they bring out a new model it seems like there is always some issues to sort out.
Which they indeed sort out, unlike, say Suunto, who just gives you The Finger.

Several hundred dives never had one issue with my Shearwater Perdix which I bought to replace my Suunto which had a failure of the pressure sensor Suunto refused to fix as it was " out of warranty" You see many posts on SB where a Shearwater owner has had an issue and Shearwater replace their device with a new one or fix a faulty one for shipping cost only even when out of warranty.

I still bring use digital SPG and as I kept the analogue one that travels with me as well.

Their good customer service doesn't change the fact that they have had a lot of issues with their new models.
If my Cobra ever dies (21 years and counting), I would look at a Shearwater only if the model has been out for a couple of years and free of any issues.. Also because they are made here in Canada.

I use AI only on most of my dives, SPG is in my bag for when I teach or when I plan deep dives.

I didn't have redundant SPGs before AI, nor do I have such redundancy now with a transmitter. (Adequate inspection/maintenance is obviously necessary for either.) An SPG is in my bag for multi-dive trips (along with a transmitter battery).

I removed my SPG and depth gauge back in 2003 or so when I get my first dive computer. At the time it was a ProPlus 2, so not wireless, but AI nonetheless. I traded that in for a wireless Oceanic VT 4.1 in 2013 with a PPS transmitter. Didn’t reconnect the SPG then. I’m now using a Perdix AI with the same transmitter.

When looking at my downloaded logs with the VT4.1, I noticed a few points on some dives where the DC would lose connection for a bit. I only noticed during the dive once. It cleared up right away. No issues at all with the Perdix and the same transmitter. I had been occasionally changing HP ports and wrists to minimize the lost comms. That seemed to help as my last dives with the Oceanic were solid.

As far as batteries go, I don’t tend to trust batteries all that much, but the transmitter batteries have been great. I change batteries each year, and carry a spare in my save a dive kit. Haven’t had to use it between dives though.

For the diving I do, I see no reason to have a backup SPG on the reg. If I’m on a dive and the transmitter dies, I’ll try to reconnect first, and if unsuccessful, I’ll end the dive. If diving in overhead environments, having an SPG as backup makes a lot of sense, as by their nature, a direct ascent is not possible.

Transmitter on right post SPG on left, if I have to isolate i have pressure in each tank.

[QUOTE="Belzelbub,
For the diving I do, I see no reason to have a backup SPG on the reg. If I’m on a dive and the transmitter dies, I’ll try to reconnect first, and if unsuccessful, I’ll end the dive.

OK. But that wouldn't be ideal if someone paid $100+ to do a 2 tank charter. If you're shallow shore diving like me, it wouldn't matter so much. Plus if it's really shallow (30') you probably don't need a DC anyway (or even an SPG).

I haven't used an SPG in over 20 years, only a transmitter, with no problems. I do keep a spare spg in my dive bag on out of town trips in case I have a failure but have never needed it although I have loaned it to others who had an spg fail.

Back
Top Bottom