DC3 Aircraft wreck dive, Coco View in Roatan, 3D imaged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The latest 3D modeling of “the Wrecks of Roatan” is of the placed SAHSA DC3 Aircraft out in front of Coco View Resort.

3AD4879A-016F-4061-B4C1-7D6ACB67618A.jpeg

The structure of wrecks attract various creatures. Too many people visit these wrecks, only to see what remains of the ship.

There is so much more. Slow down, get close, have a gawk. The DC3 lies in 45fsw, so there is no rush.
LINK:
Wrecks of Roatan - A 3D model collection by Patric Lengacher (@patric_ocean)

Even when vis isn't the best it's good muck diving and I can almost always find pockets of fair vis over there. I've been calling it a DC-3 for years but that cargo door identifies it as C-47. There are a few other other distinguishing features of the 47 vs DC-3, such as a short tail cone and astrodome, but the sections that would possibly include those are gone or buried under the sand. Before my next trip I'm going to research where I might find air frame serial numbers. It might be a vet!

I've been calling it a DC-3 for years but that cargo door identifies it as C-47. There are a few other other distinguishing features of the 47 vs DC-3, such as a short tail cone and astrodome, but the sections that would possibly include those are gone or buried under the sand. Before my next trip I'm going to research where I might find air frame serial numbers. It might be a vet!

I sat on it when the TACA Stewardii served me orange drink in styrofoam cups, iced chips done with a screwdriver. It’s name was Lago de Lalolla (or something like that). I have pix of it in service and also as it was being placed by barge crane.

Albert, who placed it, ignored the cautions given by aviators that he positioned it incorrectly and it would be prone “to fly” in a rare surge current...which it surely did!

Another relatively unknown yet large object lies nearby. A real wreck, sunk by error...due North (give or take) of the FI Gazebo, midway cross to the green CCV buoy, lies a somewhat intact FI Dive Boat.

I sat on it when the TACA Stewardii served me orange drink in styrofoam cups, iced chips done with a screwdriver. It’s name was Lago de Lalolla (or something like that). I have pix of it in service and also as it was being placed by barge crane.

Albert, who placed it, ignored the cautions given by aviators that he positioned it incorrectly and it would be prone “to fly” in a rare surge current...which it surely did!

Another relatively unknown yet large object lies nearby. A real wreck, sunk by error...due North (give or take) of the FI Gazebo, midway cross to the green CCV buoy, lies a somewhat intact FI Dive Boat.

I've not seen that wreck, I'll run a little further north next year. Thanks!

Reactions: Doc
I've not seen that wreck, I'll run a little further north next year. Thanks!

That photoshopped circle to left is the lost FI dive boat.
The black linear shadow is the actual placed 140’ Prince Albert Wreck.

DFBAAD04-A0F3-4EDA-9C15-CF690A32995F.jpeg

Here’s a different view

2C422555-D1A9-41C7-AE30-73F4E89C6758.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom