Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you. Now, would you bet your life (or discomfort) you never would?

Every time I get in the water.

And how much hassle would bringing a snorkel cost you? My roll-up in my right DS thigh pocket costs me exactly zero, but it sure has come in handy a couple times.

Good for you.

But here is how much hassle a snorkel can cause. Get to depth, and see how convenient it is to breath through it.

I will await the results of this scientific inquiry.

In marine open water, I think that forgoing a snorkel is plain stupid. Usually, you don't need it. But if you do, it's damned nice to have.

Taking skin diving gear scuba diving is plain stupid. If you need it, put your regulator in your mouth.

Taking skin diving gear scuba diving is plain stupid.

So ditch the mask, it is skin diving gear...

I ALWAYS have an Octo on and I have NEVER had to use it in an OOA emergency at all. The only time it gets used is during training simulation or when I practice my skills. I still ALWAYS have it on me when I dive just in case. I actually use the snorkel much more than an octo, practically in every dive on the surface (but not when diving in an overhead environment). I never confuse my BC inflator hose with my snorkel just like I never confuse my mouth for my nose. I know where everything is and how it feels just by feel and without looking. Safety through education not by blaming gear for your own short comings and inadequate training.

Taking skin diving gear scuba diving is plain stupid. If you need it, put your regulator in your mouth.
You’ll notice, a warm water bias toward snorkels, I would hate being in the chop trying to breath through a tube with all of the cold water gear or having that kelp catcher on underwater. Like many things it’s diving the conditions.

So ditch the mask, it is skin diving gear...

No it isn't.

I ALWAYS have an Octo on and I have NEVER had to use it in an OOA emergency at all.

If you're underwater, it would be useful to have one, though, yes? I mean, you can stick it in your mouth and breath.

I actually use the snorkel much more than an octo, practically in every dive on the surface and not when diving in an overhead environment.

Not when diving at all, actually. Which is the entire point.

Safety with education not by blaming gear for your own short comings and inadequate training.

Training people to use gear that is entirely useless to them while diving is inadequate training.

yes, this one:
shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDaiREWhmvh6DqJTiHK5vbqO5SQsTuV2weLJSNDvvKLA0u9zsSj1jEb5x3.jpg

Like some have said a snorkel is useless underwater so if you don’t plan on surfacing your never going to need one, also if you never dive in bad surface conditions or have an unlimited supply of gas your never going to need one.

Back
Top Bottom