Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the 490/495....essentially they are the same exterior PVC dipped glove...very similar to the SHOWA 660.

I am not a fan of the SHOWA PVC dipped gloves at all...they are cut quite large, and the material becomes a bit stiff when cold.

The nitrile dipped 720 (720R) is a bit more form fitting, is stretchier, more durable overall, and does not seem to stiffen up in cold air/water the same way the PVC dipped gloves do. For use with under-gloves I use one size up...I use a set of XL 720s with under-gloves and a set of L 720s if I am going without under-gloves....to be honest, I don't really switch between the two sizes as my wife wife uses the size L on her setup...so I just run the XL most of the time with or without the under-gloves and all has been well with my world.

-Z

I do the same. I just deal with them a little loose without liners. In a perfect world I think I'm 2XL / XL, but reality is 2XL all the time. If your wife doesn't dive you could always "borrow" her set?:)

My first concern with dry gloves is “dry” (meaning mount well to the rings) second requirement is not blue.

I do wish they had different colors, but when my hand is stuck down in the muck I guess it doesn't really matter. My very blue 720's are holding up great. I've gotten use to the color.

Sure.

This is a photo of various heat exchangers made by the same company. The one on the left - the largest and highest-preforming one - is the one I'm getting.

In short, it goes inline with my truck's heater core, in the engine bay. A hose goes from the engine into the heat exchanger, and the other side has a hose that goes from the heat exchanger to the truck's heater core - which is what makes heat in the cabin.

The other side of the heat exchanger has an input for cold water, and an output for hot water.

...So under the truck I'll have a female garden hose connection. Water come in through there and hits a tee. One side of the tee goes to the bed of the truck as the cold water supply. The other side of the tee goes to the heat exchanger and back to the bed as the hot water supply.

In the truck bed I'll have what is essentially a kitchen faucet with hot and cold water coming out. That'll be connected to a short (6' - 8') garden hose with a nozzle on the end for showering/rinsing.

Presto. Hot and cold running water in the truck.

Later I'll add a water tank with a pressure-sensitive 12v DC pump. When I open the nozzle on the hose, it'll turn on and pump hot or cold running water out of the nozzle. There will be a fill valve, too, so I can still hook to a supply at the dive site for endless water. The valve will be open unless the tank is full... That way I'm constantly filling the water tank and can even supply hot and cold running water at pressures and volumes higher than the customer's water hose.

View attachment 629336

Obviously I vote propane!! ....But I might be kinda biased:)

Very cool idea, the only thing I would watch out for is your source water. With having high heat and crappy water you can get those exchangers gummed up pretty fast with deposits. I would have some type of maintenance where you flush it out with loop and vinegar (bucket and small pump is what I use on my water heater). Use hot water and run for an hr or 2. Those exchangers are extremely efficient ...right up until they have crap and then they aren't.

All heat exchangers in an open loop system should be maintained.

Very interested to see your setup!! You could even run an inverter and a pump with a pre filter and pull from whatever body of water you're diving in to get really mobile, or even a small gas powered pump for extra flow (although that's more crap to haul and maintain). Cool stuff.

Follow-up:

Although it took nearly forever, the size 341/70 durometer o-rings I ordered off of Amazon finally arrived.

When I measured the o-rings from my Fourth Element Ellipse kit, I made an educated guess comparing my measurements to those in a standard o-ring size chart...in actuality the 341 o-rings are slightly larger in diameter compared to the o-rings that I was playing with from the 4th Element Ellipse system and the 70 durometer is also slightly more stretchy than the Ellipse o-rings as well. This makes using the 341/70 o-rings a DREAM when it comes to mounting gloves on the Ultima DGS glove side rings.

I test fitted with a SHOWA 720 glove size XL and a SHOWA 495 glove size medium. Even the not as stretchy PVC dipped 495 glove in size medium was a breeze to put on the Ultima ring.

The o-ring stretchiness made it slightly easier to pull the gloves off the rings but it still required a deliberate effort to get the gloves to come off. I also tested the security of the glove on the ring using a 2nd 341/70 o-ring on top as a backup similar to what the Ultima branded silicone protective covers provide and that made it nearly impossible to get the glove to come off without removing the 2nd/backup o-ring first.

I would highly recommend anyone with the Ultima DGS to pick up a few 341/70 o-rings...you will not regret it and they will make the Ultima system that much more of a pleasure to use as one will no longer need to cringe when thinking about mounting gloves.

-Z

Tried to use the Santi Heated Liners today and my 720s are to small in the fingers. The Grey style Santi/Kubi seems to be snug as well. Anyone using anything different or just sizing up?

Tried to use the Santi Heated Liners today and my 720s are to small in the fingers. The Grey style Santi/Kubi seems to be snug as well. Anyone using anything different or just sizing up?

I have.no clue how thick your heated glove liners are or what size 720 glove you are using. What I can say is that in my experience with the 720, they stretch and feel like the material relaxes with use, but if they feel snug in the fingers then just go a size up; at $7/pair (+/-) there is no reason to be uncomfortable.

I have an xxl pair that have only been test mounted, never dived with as they are too big for me. If anyone wants them for the cost of shipping, let me know.

-Z

Anyone try the 40 mil Showa 55 ?

I will state up front that I am partial to the SHOWA 720 glove model. I find the fit, dexterity, resistance to damage, and insulating property to be outstanding and they do not cost more than other glove products that are adaptable for dryglove use.

The Showa 55 is just a medium duty unlined latex rubber glove. It has been previously mentioned that latex does not have good insulating properties compared to other materials such as Nitrile. There is also the general lack of cut and puncture resistance with latex rubber compared to other glove materials. This may be a good glove to use if one is using pull-over type rings, but among the spectrum of products available for modular dryglove ring systems, I believe there are better options available.

Atlas Showa 720 Chemical Resistant Nitrile Work Gloves - ANY SIZE! FREE SHIP! | eBay

-Z

This is a long forum so I didn’t have time to search, I just received my fourth element argonaut suit and at the time had opted for their ellipse wrist rings (an extra charge). I did not buy the dry gloves as conditions here aren’t that cold most people dive with regular gloves. Anyway now I’m seeing the difficulties of their dry glove system with the oring and alignment...because my suit has their wrist rings is it possible for me to switch over or am I stuck with using their system since nothing else is really compatible?

thanks

Snip...because my suit has their wrist rings is it possible for me to switch over or am I stuck with using their system since nothing else is really compatible?

The ring glued into your suit is essentially the PU ring from the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system. You can definitely switch to the Ultima DGS.

Just pop out the rigid oval ring from the Ellipse (with the orange o-ring), and mount the seal on the rigid round ring of the Ultima DGS and press into place.

Highly recommend getting a pair of size 341 (70 durometer) o-rings with which to mount gloves on the Ultima glove-side ring...using the supplied o-rings have made grown men cry.

-Z

thanks for the info! All new to this, just said I wasted the $140 to have their ring system installed and won’t even use it. Oh well I appreciate all of the info and your reviews on the systems!

QUOTE="Zef, post: 9254037, member: 470524"]The ring glued into your suit is essentially the PU ring from the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system. You can definitely switch to the Ultima DGS.

Just pop out the rigid oval ring from the Ellipse (with the orange o-ring), and mount the seal on the rigid round ring of the Ultima DGS and press into place.

Highly recommend getting a pair of size 341 (70 durometer) o-rings with which to mount gloves on the Ultima glove-side ring...using the supplied o-rings have made grown men cry.

-Z[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom