Port closure by month update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is anyone willing to update Christie's post about port closure by month (closed thread)? I think it's a very helpful table, but it's almost three years old.

Is anyone willing to update Christie's post about port closure by month (closed thread)? I think it's a very helpful table, but it's almost three years old.

Fact is it was out of date when published.

Dave Dillehay

My records of diving the other side during notes did not correspond with her data when posted. I chose not to get into an argument about it--only mention at the time, my 25 years told me that January was the worst month. Still don't want to upset her fan base.

Dave Dillehay

My records of diving the other side during notes did not correspond with her data when posted. I chose not to get into an argument about it--only mention at the time, my 25 years told me that January was the worst month. Still don't want to upset her fan base.

Dave Dillehay

That would be "incorrect", not "out of date". Her data appears to agree with your experience.

That would be "incorrect", not "out of date". Her data appears to agree with your experience.

It does not.

Dave Dillehay

It does not.

Dave Dillehay

January has the highest average port closures per month on her table. The absolute numbers may not match what you have (which you can give to me and I will produce a table), but the overall conclusion is the same.

Closure and actual compliance may have occasionally diverged. I also wish we had updated numbers and think the record month would have been November 2020. The freak path of Eta caused 8 days of closure plus I think I remember a couple other events after I bailed out on 11/16, including folks getting trapped in Playa when the ferry shut down. When the port shuts after the boats are out many will limit the site selection and get the remaining dive in, while keeping a close eye on the conditions. Those days still count as closures.

To paraphrase a famous quote, "this data table is clearly the worst one out there, except for all the others".

I don't know if Christi's data is completely accurate or not but I sure don't see anyone else putting out the effort to provide something better.

To paraphrase a famous quote, "this data table is clearly the worst one out there, except for all the others".

I don't know if Christi's data is completely accurate or not but I sure don't see anyone else putting out the effort to provide something better.
I'm not sure how useful the data is, anyway, at least on a granular level. We know that during the midwinter closures for nortes are more common than at other times of the year, but the number and timing of them is highly variable year to year.

Back
Top Bottom