Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Deep Exposure sent a message for help out to the dive shop owners message group as soon as they realized the divers were missing so I heard about it immediately, and my crew told me about it later as well, so there is/was no cover up by the dive shop - this was simply bad reporting. There were THREE incidents: 1) a drowned swimmer found by a totally different boat 2) a lost tech diver found alive 3) a lost tech rebreather diver found deceased.

What you have to understand is there is ZERO journalistic integrity or validity to anything you read in a Cozumel news rag. Between confusing facts between incidents, no fact checking, sensationalizing headlines and translation issues - this story became totally distorted.

Deep Exposure has not made any attempts that I can tell to cover anything up nor would they have any reason or motive to do so. Anyone who is a tech diver knows the risks they are taking. This was a tragic accident.
I get it I totally do and Everything you said is believable hopefully they will address it publicly as I know as a business owner that deals with the general public when an issue arises that concerns our potential customers or current we address it and release a public statement immediately to ensure facts are presented in order to clear up anything that’s not true

EDIT: AFTER THE THREAD MERGE: I heard from a local that one lost diver was found alive while another did not survive, but news sources are not very reliable, so I asked for additional information here. That thread got renamed and moved to the Cozumel forum, but the information was supplied. Quoting from the other thread Drowned Cozumel tourist recovered by passing dive boat...

What we have found out at this point is David was at 450 feet with another guy and current took both of them one of them was found and saved and David was found deceased. This information comes directly from David’s family member that was in Mexico with him. The risk in doing this type activity is high and David fully understood this as we discussed it the week prior to his trip but when the company that took him on the dive changes the story like what I’ve read is wrong and there is no miscommunication or a translation issue when they say he was just a tourist that was swimming sounds to me someone has changed a story to cover up a death in order to not hurt their future business or tourism. We get it accidents happen and David was an adult making decisions for himself in fact he was one to not do anything he didn’t want to do and would never be forced to do anything he didn’t want to do but with that said not telling the truth in order to protect ones reputation or for some other reason is not acceptable and David’s friends will ensure the truth comes out and if there is any criminality that’s been covered up we will expose it and those responsible will be brought to justice.

So it seems that two accidents with two deaths were confused, and the news article only discussed the swimmer who died.
I was so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Deep Exposure sent a message for help out to the dive shop owners message group as soon as they realized the divers were missing so I heard about it immediately, and my crew told me about it later as well, so there is/was no cover up by the dive shop - this was simply bad reporting. There were THREE incidents: 1) a drowned swimmer found by a totally different boat 2) a lost tech diver found alive 3) a lost tech rebreather diver found deceased.

What you have to understand is there is ZERO journalistic integrity or validity to anything you read in a Cozumel news rag. Between confusing facts between incidents, no fact checking, sensationalizing headlines and translation issues - this story became totally distorted.

Deep Exposure has not made any attempts that I can tell to cover anything up nor would they have any reason or motive to do so. Anyone who is a tech diver knows the risks they are taking. This was a tragic accident.

Do you not need additional support for 450' on a rebreather? Out of curiosity, what would a profile look like?

Do you not need additional support for 450' on a rebreather? Out of curiosity, what would a profile look like?
Anything deeper than 300 or even shallower for extended duration begs for in water support.

The other thread indicated current issues. I know nothing about this type of diving and am interested in what special stuff (equipment, procedures, etc) are required to plan for and handle "current issues": up, down, side currents?

Anything deeper than 300 or even shallower for extended duration begs for in water support.
That’s not true

Speaking as one who has done 425ft (450 is a little too deep for me :wink: ) in Cozumel off Deep Exposure's boat I can say safety divers or top side support can be a real challenge. I have never had a safety diver in Cozumel there is just too much current and the intensity and even direction of the current can vary with depth. We can't even employ team bailout strategies because you can not alway be sure your team will be close enough to matter. When the water turns into a washing machine, and it can especially at depth it is truly every man for himself.

Speaking as one who has done 425ft (450 is a little too deep for me :wink: ) in Cozumel off Deep Exposure's boat I can say safety divers or top side support can be a real challenge. I have never had a safety diver in Cozumel there is just too much current and the intensity and even direction of the current can vary with depth. We can't even employ team bailout strategies because you can not alway be sure your team will be close enough to matter. When the water turns into a washing machine, and it can especially at depth it is truly every man for himself.
If your not going to penetrate, why would one dive so deep? Bragging rights?

If your not going to penetrate, why would one dive so deep? Bragging rights?
Do you think all the cool stuff is just in the shallows?

I have not dove this deep, but I've heard the stories. A whole different world of cool stuff deep that doesn’t exist in skinny water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom