Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It must be difficult for those that can't progress past using a snorkel to becoming a diver

It must be difficult for those that can't progress past using a snorkel to becoming a diver
You're right. 43 years and I still have my snorkel. One day I might grow up and put the reg in my mouth.

Just because I chose to dive with one doesn't mean anybody else is required to. Same as when I carry a pony, I don't require my buddies to - providing they have the gas to do the planned dive.

I ditched my snorkel shortly after certification.

Then, on a trip to South Africa, I got to do a dive at Sodwana Bay. Halfway to the dive site, the captain spied a whale shark, and killed the engine for us to spend some time snorkelling with it (nobody was fully geared up for scuba at that point). Everyone else on the boat had a lovely time snorkelling. My snorkel was in Canada, so I was the guy swimming around, looking underwater as long as I could hold my breath, and then huffing for air so I could get my head back underwater. Really wished I had that snorkel.

After 10 or 15 minutes with the whale shark, we got back in the boat and proceeded to the planned dive.

I never wear the snorkel in my doubles (long hose), but when diving singles, the snorkel is always in the bag, just in case I have a need for it.

I ditched my snorkel shortly after certification. Then, on a trip to South Africa, I got to do a dive at Sodwana Bay. Halfway to the dive site, the captain spied a whale shark, and killed the engine for us to spend some time snorkeling with it (nobody was fully geared up for scuba at that point). Everyone else on the boat had a lovely time snorkeling. My snorkel was in Canada, so I was the guy swimming around, looking underwater as long as I could hold my breath, and then huffing for air so I could get my head back underwater. Really wished I had that snorkel.

After 10 or 15 minutes with the whale shark, we got back in the boat and proceeded to the planned dive.

I never wear the snorkel in my doubles (long hose), but when diving singles, the snorkel is always in the bag, just in case I have a need for it.

Yup on the way to a dive site other people who didn't have a snorkel, still had fun though. Thing was on the boat we had people coming to the dive site to snorkel over the reef. They got the trip of a lifetime being able to swim in the wild with a whale shark.

WHALE SHARK JNR DOLJO.JPG

I ditched my snorkel shortly after certification.

Then, on a trip to South Africa, I got to do a dive at Sodwana Bay. Halfway to the dive site, the captain spied a whale shark, and killed the engine for us to spend some time snorkelling with it (nobody was fully geared up for scuba at that point). Everyone else on the boat had a lovely time snorkelling. My snorkel was in Canada, so I was the guy swimming around, looking underwater as long as I could hold my breath, and then huffing for air so I could get my head back underwater. Really wished I had that snorkel.

Amazing. Nearly the exact same thing happened to me on a Red Sea liveaboard some years ago. I was thinking about putting a post in this thread in favour of having a snorkel 'available', but you beat me to it.

I'm a pretty good breathholder, but I too was chuffing out of my arse trying to keep up with her whilst continuously needing to surface for air.

I would've paid good money for a snorkel then. Oh well, another lesson learnt!

I would've paid good money for a snorkel then. Oh well, another lesson learnt!

Are you promoting to those who don't bring a snorkel that one day they may wish they had always brought one with them? I don't mean wearing it as I always do but at least bringing one in their pocket.

You guys should have shared air with your buddies snorkel..

Is that what they call it these days? :wink:

Are you promoting to those who don't bring a snorkel that one day they may wish they had always brought one with them? I don't mean wearing it as I always do but at least bringing one in their pocket.
Yes. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But soon.

Back
Top Bottom