Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, something is way off here on the North Coast, this chart is for Ft Bragg, CA

upload_2020-12-8_6-51-28.png

We had 8'+ swells rolling in yesterday and the seas were roaring all night. I could look across Mendocino Bay and the biggest sets would almost block the other top of the South headland as they rolled in. Cliffs are about 40' high.

Yeah, Surfline seems to have a bit of an issue with their site as well -- which I attribute to an excessive use of weed. I just don't get it -- the surface water temperature readings were well within the ballpark.

Wave heights? Not so much.

I was at Asilomar this morning and the waves were, admittedly, impressive; but not in excess of thirty to forty feet -- nine to twelve meters.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.06.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 11.12.58 AM.png

As of 11:30 AM, 10.7-12.2 meters (35-40 feet)?

Uh . . . no.

Embarrassingly, we still cannot seem to pull off the metric system . . .

Excessive use of weed. Maybe things look bigger when you're stoned.

IMG_2585.JPG

Monastery Beach, this morning -- I would not recommend it; not a "chamber of commerce" day, unless one has time to hang around between sizable wave sets and lots of foam, to exit. Visibility was a couple of meters at best, near the splash rock, and miso soup close to shore.

Found someone's mask and fancy-schmancy snorkel -- possibly, blown off someone's forehead, along with a two-pound beanbag, while stepping up and out.

San Carlos Beach had 3-4 meter visibility, along the wall, with sea lion madness -- playing chicken; the shallow, so-called "middle reef" was more a Rorschach test than scenery . . .

This could be a MOF debate.

Two dives at North Monastery today. 25-30ft vis. A bit of surge. Very nice to get back in the water. Walk in and walk out.

North Monastery Beach -- 7-8 meters of visibility, out near the "spash-rock." A sizable sunfish was seen and a fair amount of jellyfish, for them to eat.

San Carlos Beach -- 5-6 meters, along the wall; not that hot, out near the "reef" . . .

Awesome dive at Pt Lobos yesterday! Finally had good viz - easily 40-50ft. We went west out to Marco's Pinnacle, with a stop at Taco along the way. Hit the usual inner sites on our return. Lots of fish that looked like they were guarding their nests. As usual, got buzzed by some sea lions.
-> 81ft max, 56ft avg, 40-50ft viz in blue water, 50F at depth (felt a lot colder than that - my forehead was stinging)

Awesome dive at Pt Lobos yesterday! Finally had good viz - easily 40-50ft. We went west out to Marco's Pinnacle, with a stop at Taco along the way. Hit the usual inner sites on our return. Lots of fish that looked like they were guarding their nests. As usual, got buzzed by some sea lions.
-> 81ft max, 56ft avg, 40-50ft viz in blue water, 50F at depth (felt a lot colder than that - my forehead was stinging)
Nice dive, miss it. There was a water quality alert all weekend, advising no contact. I guess the sewage is over capacity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom