Been out of the loop for 4 years what is the situation with Carbon Fiber Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I dive off the beaten path and have to lug the gear across long paths that have no roads. It's about weight distribution for me during the walk. I am not sure how much lighter a carbon fiber tank would be, but its a lot easier to carry weight on a belt or BC versus a heavier tank on the shoulder. I am not getting any younger LOL.

I prefere to carry tanks on my BP on my back when walking, and then its no difference.

Do you use stainless steel bands on them? What do you think of them to replace 12ltr Fabre steel side mounted
Yes, standard rigging kits, nothing special. And if you use steel for side mount and not aluminium I would not go for Carbondive - once emtpy they become quite bouyant.

Yes, standard rigging kits, nothing special. And if you use steel for side mount and not aluminium I would not go for Carbondive - once emtpy they become quite bouyant.
Thank you.

Between that and the short lifespan that carbon tanks have in general, don't see any value for most diving needs.
Define short lifespan. At least in Europe the same rules apply to the Carbondive tanks as for steel and aluminium tanks. Mine are 10years+ and I have no issues.

6.8 empty is 2 lbs negative and at 300 bar they hold 72 cf of gas. Much better weight wise than AL 80. I ordered 2x Carbondive with great success from www.diveavenue.com. You can get the 6.8L directly from there : 6.8 liter CARBONDIVE scuba tank 300bar w/o valve - DIVEAVENUE
they are still illegal to fill in this country and the implication is that you can actually get 300bar fills, you will have to have your own fill station to get that sorted, also RIP your first stage service life.

Define short lifespan. At least in Europe the same rules apply to the Carbondive tanks as for steel and aluminium tanks. Mine are 10years+ and I have no issues.
You have to be extremely careful when diving with them in salt water since any defect in the composite will invite salt crystals to enter the composite matrix and when they dry, they will start to abrade the carbon fibers themselves. There is a reason they haven't come to the US yet for scuba use...

Back
Top Bottom