Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked, they're $100 here, I've left more snorkels than I've collected, how do you like Shaun the Sheep
$100 !!!. That's a bargain... I'll take two.

Wondered what you were talking about, until I zoomed in to the bonnet badge. Classic. Hmm, I could really do with a nice cup of tea and piece of Wensleydale now :coffee:

I have never insisted that everyone should have a snorkel attached at all. I am rejecting some of the very false excuses that some people put out for justifying not wearing snorkel that are misleading and convey the wrong reason for not wearing one. One can simply say that they hate it or don't like it and it will be more acceptable than to come up with false and misleading excuses for not having one on while diving. We are in the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum that is directed towards the very new divers and those that are contemplating taking up diving and who lack solid knowledge and understanding of diving and will make the wrong decisions based on false and wrong information. We have to be careful withe these impressionable divers and how the information is formulated as not to spread false information.

Did you try it and practice it to get over your problems with it? Learning and being able to do it without issues is a matter of practice and improving your skill doing it. It wasn't/isn't a big deal for me to be able to do it without issues. Complaining about not being able to do it without putting the time to do it properly and perfecting your technique is just like people who complain about it with regular hose who confuse the snorkel with their BC inflator hose. Perhaps have somebody make a video of you doing it for you to find out where you are doing wrong to correct your posture and technique.

I guess we should all just come to you for proper training and our Snorkel Diver card and all will be right with the world. Obviously none of the other TENS OF THOUSANDS of scuba instructors are teaching us properly.

Is it really that hard to grasp that MANY of us have chosen to ditch a piece of nonessential equipment vs. "practicing" and "learning" how to "properly" work around said nonessential equipment?

I couldn't care less if you want to dive with a snorkel. Dive with two for redundancy even. Good for you. I have no issues with that nor will I judge you for it. But to argue that most of us who ditched our snorkels did so because we never "learned" how to properly use one or we just haven't "practiced" long enough is just silly.

Did you try it and practice it to get over your problems with it?
I never said I had problems with it. I have issues with it. Specifically, the increased risk of snagging my hose on it when I'm deploying my reg to an OOG buddy. In a situation like that, I prefer to minimize the risk of any screw-up as much as practically possible.

In other news, I see that you persist in refusing to answer - or at least dodging - a direct question.

I guess we should all just come to you for proper training and our Snorkel Diver card and all will be right with the world.

Sure, you will also learn other skills and gain more knowledge in addition to snorkeling skills. It will be worth your time and money (I am very expensive fyi).

Obviously none of the other TENS OF THOUSANDS of scuba instructors are teaching us properly.
The ones that run two or three day courses with only few hours in the pool are for sure and there are thousands and thousands of them. If you took a course with these folks, you should run and not walk to take a remedial course with somebody who will teach you proper skin diving skills in addition to scuba diving skills. There are thousands of us who strive to do a a better job in teaching diving and exceeding their respective agency's standards, I do and I got commendations from my agency.

Is it really that hard to grasp that MANY of us have chosen to ditch a piece of nonessential equipment vs. "practicing" and "learning" how to "properly" work around said nonessential equipment?
For MANY of us that have experience and were taught how to dive and used equipment properly and have spent a lot of time practicing and perfecting their own skills and their students' skills, it does matter and it is an essential equipment. If you, or anyone else, that chooses to be lazy and blame the equipment for their lack of proper and adequate training and skill level, then that is your choice just don't blame the equipment and preach erroneous information for the impressionable and uninitiated new divers in this "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum.

I couldn't care less if you want to dive with a snorkel. Dive with two for redundancy even. Good for you. I have no issues with that nor will I judge you for it. But to argue that most of us who ditched our snorkels did so because we never "learned" how to properly use one or we just haven't "practiced" long enough is just silly.

It is obvious that you don't care because you don't know what you don't know. You aren't an instructor, I am and it is my obligation to point out bad advice based on incorrect information and lack of knowledge. It is an advice and it is for free, take or leave yourself but my concern is the new divers in this forum who don't know any better.

I never said I had problems with it. I have issues with it. Specifically, the increased risk of snagging my hose on it when I'm deploying my reg to an OOG buddy. In a situation like that, I prefer to minimize the risk of any screw-up as much as practically possible.

I see the great value in having a snorkel on when I am doing recreational diving and I practice deploying my SS on the longer hose with snorkel on the mask in addition to other skills to keep my skill level up and ready for emergencies or trouble. If you choose not to do it or can't or don't know how, that is your choice. I even teach clearing the mask without using hands and other skills that most instructor don't teach in recreational diving but I do teach it and I make sure that my students know how to avoid issues and ready to deal with issues without them getting excited or turning issues into problems.

I see the great value in having a snorkel on when I am doing recreational diving and I practice deploying my SS on the longer hose with snorkel on the mask in addition to other skills to keep my skill level up and ready for emergencies or trouble. If you choose not to do it or can't or don't know how, that is your choice. I even teach clearing the mask without using hands and other skills that most instructor don't teach in recreational diving but I do teach it and I make sure that my students know how to avoid issues and ready to deal with issues without them getting excited or turning issues into problems.
Thank you for - again - not answering my direct question to you.

Thank you for - again - not answering my direct question to you.

I am doing my best and to the best of my knowledge while avoiding judgemental answers and feeding the troll questions.

I walked through the door about an hour ago back from a great afternoon dive. I did the long hose OOA SS deployment with snorkel on my mask strap few times thinking of you all. It feels great to have a high skill level that comes with practice and perfecting the technique. You guys should try it every now and then. We had almost mirror like sea with surface air temperature that almost hit 30C, very unseasonable weather this weekend here.

I got to go and eat and then unload the equipment from the truck (the worse part about diving, unloading and taking care of the equipment at the end of the dive day).

Love, hugs and kisses to you all wishing you a happy and safe weekend with great diving!!

We are still on this pissing contest over a snorkel it's a personal choice wear one or not. I'm sure the OP has long since checked out.

For MANY of us that have experience and were taught how to dive and used equipment properly and have spent a lot of time practicing and perfecting their own skills and their students' skills, it does matter and it is an essential equipment. If you, or anyone else, that chooses to be lazy and blame the equipment for their lack of proper and adequate training and skill level, then that is your choice just don't blame the equipment and preach erroneous information for the impressionable and uninitiated new divers in this "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum.

It is obvious that you don't care because you don't know what you don't know. You aren't an instructor, I am and it is my obligation to point out bad advice based on incorrect information and lack of knowledge. It is an advice and it is for free, take or leave yourself but my concern is the new divers in this forum who don't know any better.

"I'm an instructor, you aren't". That's awesome. I've always loved that argument. It really bolsters your case.

A snorkel ... essential equipment ... for scuba diving??? Really??? But you're the "expert" so it must be so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom