Florida Shark Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Report for January 5, 2021 at Lemon Drop and Mizpah Wreck Trek

As the four of us left Lake Worth inlet (Palm Beach, Florida) and turned the Second Home north the chop was annoying but very manageable. Arriving at lemon drop there were a few fishing boats but once we put up the dive flag they graciously moved away giving us free rein of the site. First in was BJ Rogers and our newest friend Lisa Mongy while Mike Silverman and I suited up for our turn. After a peaceful 45 minutes and divers up I went to drop the dive ladder and found the bracket was bent from our previous trip and I had to straighten it with a makeshift hammer. Evidently pounding on the boat was like a dinner bell for the lemons because when Mike and I dropped the boat was surrounded with excited Lemon sharks. Watching the video you will notice the camera is shaky as I drop down as the lemons were rubbing up against me and at one point one snagged my float line and I had to go retrieve it. After about 20 minutes of not being feed they left for more productive areas. Vis was 40-50 feet and temp on the bottom 75 degrees Fahrenheit with little current.

As our first dive was mostly 90-100 feet I chose a site a little ways away that would give us some more surface time and we motored to Mizpah wreck trek. Seas and wind were dying down and had a following sea so it was a quick 8 miles. First in were BJ and Lisa. From their report they had Goliath groupers and lemon sharks waiting to greet them. For Mike and my turn we found diminishing visibility but with almost no current it was a very pleasant dive. Navigation was provided by one Goliath grouper that was kind enough to swim in front of me and lead us to the Mizpah.

Please remember to subscribe and leave your comments – Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom