Looking for recommendations on a Travel BC with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want back inflation. adjustable waist and shoulder straps, lighter weight, integrated weight pockets what do you guys recommend ...price wise under $600 if possible...recreational diving only

I want back inflation. adjustable waist and shoulder straps, lighter weight, integrated weight pockets

Not necessarily recommending as I have only used one travel BC - just offering a suggestion.

I've used an Aqua Lung Zuma for the last 10 years - got it for the main reasons of traveling light/easy packing. Has all the features you mentioned. I like mine a lot and have no complaints. I also have the Aqua Lung Airsource 3 (a second stage/alternate air source/power inflator eliminating the traditional octopus) that I use with the BC which cuts down on long hoses.

BC

Lightweight Buoyancy Compensator | Zuma - Aqua Lung

Aqua Lung Zuma Travel BC

Airsource 3

Diving Regulator | Second Stage | Airsource - Aqua Lung

Thanks. I was also looking at the Zeagle Covert

When I went looking for a new BC for travel I went with a Zeagle Express Tech and like it. I considered the Zuma but you can't really adjust the height of the tank. I have problems hitting my head on the valve with any BC unless I drop the tank pretty low, so that didn't work for me. I had to mess around to get tank low enough in the Seattle, but it's a pretty hackable BC.

If you are interested in Zeagle, and have to have a new BC with dump-able weights, you might consider their express tech with the zip weights system. Leisure pro has it. But if it was me, I would look around for a used BPW in the SB classified or post a WTB. Back plate and wing systems are popular around here and should be easy to come by. Or even better, buy the various parts and build one. You can pick your harness color, plate style and set up however you want.

ETA: dang, beat me to it by 3 minutes.

The Zeagle Covert is an outstanding travel back inflate bcd. It's very light weight, durable, packable, dumpable weights, and with an inflator that can be unscrewed, greatly easing the bladder/dump valve rinsing process. My only complaint with the Covert was I did not like the velcro style lower tank cam band, so I swapped it out for a standard cam band. Although I still have the Covert, I bought a HOG Total Buoyancy Control System soft plate and wing from DRIS during their big Black Friday sale in 2019, which is heavier, but much more flexible for varied diving.

I found a basically new Zeagle Covert XT for $185 off the new price...I went with that for that price

I think you will like the Covert XT, especially at that price. After using it for a couple of dives, and then decide you want to beef up the lower cam band to give the tank additional stability, this is what I used:
XS Scuba Standard Cam Bands

I think you will like the Covert XT, especially at that price. After using it for a couple of dives, and then decide you want to beef up the lower cam band to give the tank additional stability, this is what I used:
XS Scuba Standard Cam Bands
Thanks I ordered them!

I have the Zeagle Zena and love it. I don't think it's considered a 'travel' BC, but mine packs very well. I had the Zuma but it got a pinhole in it after two trips so it's been hanging in my basement for the last 6 years. I guess I could get it repaired, but I love my Zena and it does everything I want - and seems to fit what you are looking for as well. I have no idea how it compares to the Covert though - so that one might be a much better travel BC.

Back
Top Bottom