NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He is refusing because he says the org is trash.
Again, you're being combative as he has said no such thing. Why do that? Why create animosity where none exists? This only makes communications harder and unproductive.
Cop out. All you have to do is pay.
Do you realize that he must wait another year before he can do so after he pays? That was stated earlier in this thread, but you only seem interested in combat with those who disagree with you.
Have you engaged the CDS on use of social media and what can be brought to the table?
I've tried. Every org needs a communications/ social media officer. They need to be dedicated to true outreach and engage with stake holders where ever they can find them.
Better communication from the BoD to the membership and public should be a much higher priority than it is.
Thanks for acknowledging our concerns. Perhaps you can share this thread with the BOD.

A question for current NSS-CDS members...

How do you "prove" membership? I have a screen shot of my NSS "Membership Card" with my number, but I see no equivalent to show CDS membership. If I stop at Dive Outpost to dive COW Springs, what mechanism do I have to show current membership? Do they maintain a list? Do I have to pull up the website on my iPhone and show my membership details?

Also, I don't understand how things are so screwed up between the two memberships. I joined and paid the dues for both at the identical time but my NSS Membership expires 11/12/2021 and my CDS membership shows it is valid through 10/14/2021.

Also... This discussion led me to looking at NFSA . Once I realized it was not the National Fire Sprinkler Association, I was able to join that excellent organization, so thank you for the reference in this chain of discussions.

A question for current NSS-CDS members...

How do you "prove" membership? I have a screen shot of my NSS "Membership Card" with my number, but I see no equivalent to show CDS membership. If I stop at Dive Outpost to dive COW Springs, what mechanism do I have to show current membership? Do they maintain a list? Do I have to pull up the website on my iPhone and show my membership details?

Also, I don't understand how things are so screwed up between the two memberships. I joined and paid the dues for both at the identical time but my NSS Membership expires 11/12/2021 and my CDS membership shows it is valid through 10/14/2021.

Also... This discussion led me to looking at NFSA . Once I realized it was not the National Fire Sprinkler Association, I was able to join that excellent organization, so thank you for the reference in this chain of discussions.

Showing payment receipt email/welcome letter usually worked or some kind of membership email/form with an expiration date. It's usually not super complicated, but YOU will be responsible for providing the information, there is no database the dive shop can look at.

Showing payment receipt email/welcome letter usually worked or some kind of membership email/form with an expiration date. It's usually not super complicated, but YOU will be responsible for providing the information, there is no database the dive shop can look at.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I did find my email for the Member Order and will "tag" it so it is easy to find when needed.

I can't imagine an organization so disconnected with members that they won't respond to them.
They offer to automatically renew membership yet can't make it work?
Wow!

I can't imagine an organization so disconnected with members that they won't respond to them.
They offer to automatically renew membership yet can't make it work?
Wow!

not just can’t make their renewals work. Haven’t been able to make them work for such a long time they will give you free membership until they are able to fix the issue. But nobody can give any timeline of when that could be.
Don’t get me wrong I appreciate that Adam realizes the fallacy and offers a free interim membership. But I am one of those people that don’t like being given things for free. It makes me uncomfortable. I still want to believe in the org so rather than dealing with renewal issues every year I was willing to drop the $500 or whatever it costs to get a lifetime family membership. But 3 people couldn’t figure out how to take my money. It all stems from the cds schism from the nss. I just want them to take my money and let me move on. To be honest though when I do get the call that things are fixed I don’t know that I will want to be a member. Add to that I think Adam will eventually get sick of the cds nonsense and leave his post, and who’s to say the next person will know what the asterisk next to my name means? I actually would bet I’ll have free membership with no end in sight. I’m not a fan of that.

I personally would love to be able to pay for both memberships (NSS and CDS) at the same time like I did for many years. If that was currently possible, I would already have both paid for. The friendly woman I spoke with on the phone at NSS HQ in Alabama said that they could resume taking payments for CDS membership if the CDS okayed it.

You know how easy it would be to absolutely control the CDS? A wealthy guy could add a few hundred people guaranteed to vote the way he wanted. Within a few years, the entire board could be changed to people who would dictate new rules, direction, leadership.

I’d almost do it just to alleviate boredom.
If you see an influx of a 1000 new members no one knows in the next few months, it might be me :)
actually for what its worth we did a similar thing in a club i was a member of - there was the old guard who were holding the reigns and purse strings and only spending money on the things they thought were important. They didnt notice a groundswell of new members that wanted something different, so come election 4-5 of them got themselves on to the committee and basically hijacked it.

actually for what its worth we did a similar thing in a club i was a member of - there was the old guard who were holding the reigns and purse strings and only spending money on the things they thought were important. They didnt notice a groundswell of new members that wanted something different, so come election 4-5 of them got themselves on to the committee and basically hijacked it.

This is essentially what needs to be done except there are two problems.
1. The board of the CDS operates with staggered terms so it's not possible to create that ground swell of new board members unless sitting members resign mid-term

2. Culture-- I don't know the make up of the CDS board or what the different personalities and factions are, but when an organization gets this bad more than a "new" majority is typically required. The source of the poisoned culture can't just be over ruled by majority vote, it really needs to step away if the growth and progress is to be sustained long term.

I am not claiming it is easy or as simple as it sounds, I am only stating what needs to be done.

On another note--Can someone repost the Apprentice and Apprentice Plus standards. Either something has been 'updated' or CDS instructors are routinely breaking standards. I hear about classes with 1 jump. 3rds, deco, or some combination of the above all under the guise of "this is the Plus class" all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom