Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured DSS purchased this hose from some sort of wholesale dive equipment company.

So I tried to swap my wife's HOG inflator setup and an Air2 with DSS inflator setup. Neither would just screw on and make a tight connection - I was thinking just buy the setup and replace - but that does not seem to be an option.

I would imagine there is not difference in hoses and you could buy one and zip tie the hose to the elbow and inflator mechanism. You have nothing to lose by trying that approach - I would think you could get a hose cheap. Buying a used DSS setup and using it for parts does not make sense to me either - I have looked at used DSS setups and folks want ridiculous money for the setups...

For what it is worth - I have never had issues with my DSS rig and I use both the single and double wings on the same BP. Others do not want to be bothered by stringing the single cam bands - it does not bother me. YMMV.

Or probably DRIS
DRIS=Dive Right In Scuba :D :D :D They're advertisers, so they get the nod in my book.

Here's my "divers are in the water waiting for you" fix last week.
That hose is a standard inflator hose. It’s also one with a wide reputation for cracking.

The link that @JimBlay included has a variety of parts that can be used, including the corrugated hose that has a reputation for not cracking. it doesn’t look exactly the same, but the diameter that attaches at either end is the same.

The elbow that the PVC is attached to also seems to be a standard dimension elbow. I won’t say anything about the threading, etc.: it might be different. It’s also irrelevant unless you crack it. Just reuse it, and replace the corrugated hose. (I hope that boat captain didn’t do any harm to the elbow with his hose clamp…)

i’m not going to argue with @The Chairman when he wants to support an advertiser: dive right in scuba will be able to help you very well. And they have really good support over the phone if you want to give them a call. But I find the link above much more useful for being able to see the variety of parts and figure out which one exactly you might need.

I’m unclear if your broken corrugated hose ends with an air2 inflator or a standard one. I’m assuming that either way your broken corrugated hose ends in the standard 1 inch diameter — that it is not some sort of custom hose on the inflator side. I think it’s very unlikely to be non-standard, but the mention of the air2 makes me at least wonder.

Thanks tmassey - good to know there's one that's not subjective to cracking.

My inflator is this one, not Air2:

dx-202930_1.jpg

Then you are golden: you should have standard sized attachments at both sides. Buy the proper length of corrugated hose for the middle. You may want to consider buying the plastic screw-on hose attachment clamps or use wire ties.

And while you’re at it, if you decide not to use the screw on attachment clamps, use quality wire ties. These will stay there for a long time and take a lot of abuse. Make sure they are UV resistant, which usually means they are black, and ideally have a metal bit to hold the tie together. A common brand name for such wire ties is ty-wrap. Something like eight dollars for a bag of 50 at Home Depot, and if you only use them for scuba stuff, it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever run out.

They also have much smoother edges and rounded corners, which makes them much nicer for things like mouthpieces, too.

Just a follow up - got the 1" hose from DiveGearExpress and it fits perfect, so that's good.

I also ordered up an OMS elbow assembly (as back up parts) and the elbow is fine with the octagonal (?) end flange, but I think the threads on the collar are more coarse than the DSS collar. I'll double check later, but I did not want to force it for fear of jacking up the threads.

Thanks for all your help. I'm back in business!

Just a follow up - got the 1" hose from DiveGearExpress and it fits perfect, so that's good.

I also ordered up an OMS elbow assembly (as back up parts) and the elbow is fine with the octagonal (?) end flange, but I think the threads on the collar are more coarse than the DSS collar. I'll double check later, but I did not want to force it for fear of jacking up the threads.

Thanks for all your help. I'm back in business!
Does the DSS wing use a welded flange or a 3-part fitting (stem/double-gasket/nut)?

Back
Top Bottom