Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said that it was half a joke, come on. Dry suit was not even the topic. Can't a newbie make joke without being hammered out for that?

Jokes, sure. Questions? Of course. Uninformed assumptions presented as statements of fact, not so much.

You mentioned this is your first American forum. Most Americans would not consider a deadpan statement as a joke. And most Americans feel it is their God-given, constitutionally-protected right to loudly counter any statement with which they do not agree. :) Maybe even more than a right: an obligation! :)

How exactly that translates to your locality is an exercise for the reader. :)

Jokes, sure. Questions? Of course. Uninformed assumptions presented as statements of fact, not so much.

You mentioned this is your first American forum. Most Americans would not consider a deadpan statement as a joke. And most Americans feel it is their God-given, constitutionally-protected right to loudly counter any statement with which they do not agree. :) Maybe even more than a right: an obligation! :)

How exactly that translates to your locality is an exercise for the reader. :)
I understand but I did nothing wrong.
This is the new diver section. I figure that the guy who attacked me (in words only) believe that he is a god diver. Good for him. That’s fine. But in here, I thought that if someone asks why a 40m dive the day after OW cert is risky, people would explain and not play the pompous prick. All questions and opinions are acceptable. If people thinking is wrong, it is more effective to explain than to insult (he was not far from doing it). As a SB Staff member, he should embrace questions rather than banning sense of humor and considering that allowing execs to humiliate regular members, however dive uneducated they are, is the right way to do..
If SB decides that I should be banned for writing that, that's fine.

Right, but maybe that's an error, maybe we shouldn't be teaching it that way. I guess the issue is that the depth gauge shouldn't read feet or meters, since those are dependent on what you are diving in. It should really read ATA, since that's the relevant variable that affects nitrogen loading and decompressions algorithms.

Now of course, I understand the educational difficulties of taking new divers and teaching that you are "1 ATA" under the surface - it just seems less intuitive than the idea of being "33 feet" under the surface. But I guess that distinction might be made when you are discussing the adjustments for fresh and salt water. Maybe that's the point to bring up the fact that you are actually measuring atmospheres, not feet.

Great discussion, as always! That's why I'm never that concerned about topic drift within reason - sometimes the side passages are the most interesting.

I'd assume the reason depth is taught as distance from surface than atmospheres absolute is the ease with which we are able to understand and translate distance.

Not only is it a metric everyone is familiar with (we can easily visualize it because we spend our entire lives dealing with it), there are more units to work with.

It's far easier to say forty feet than it is to say 1.25 ata below the surface or 2.25 ata total (at sea level) . . . if that makes sense.

I understand but I did nothing wrong.
This is the new diver section. I figure that the guy who attacked me (in words only) believe that he is a god diver. Good for him. That’s fine. But in here, I thought that if someone asks why a 40m dive the day after OW cert is risky, people would explain and not play the pompous prick. All questions and opinions are acceptable. If people thinking is wrong, it is more effective to explain than to insult (he was not far from doing it). As a SB Staff member, he should embrace questions rather than banning sense of humor and considering that allowing execs to humiliate regular members, however dive uneducated they are, is the right way to do..
If SB decides that I should be banned for writing that, that's fine.
Actually you’re right. There is no comparison between the flexibility of a wetsuit and a drysuit. In fact a dry suited diver is like a fish out of water compared to a wet suited one. Have a look at this footage at 19.30

Actually you’re right. There is no comparison between the flexibility of a wetsuit and a drysuit. In fact a dry suited diver is like a fish out of water compared to a wet suited one. Have a look at this footage at 19.30

i must have missed whatever you were referring to. but i just decided i want to dive triples !!

btw.....anyone know what those white balloon-lookin things were on the manifold ?

i must have missed whatever you were referring to. but i just decided i want to dive triples !!

btw.....anyone know what those white balloon-lookin things were on the manifold ?
Floats to counter the weight

Floats to counter the weight

honestly that was my first thought. then i thought "naaah. it can't be that" :)

I'd assume the reason depth is taught as distance from surface than atmospheres absolute is the ease with which we are able to understand and translate distance.

Not only is it a metric everyone is familiar with (we can easily visualize it because we spend our entire lives dealing with it), there are more units to work with.

It's far easier to say forty feet than it is to say 1.25 ata below the surface or 2.25 ata total (at sea level) . . . if that makes sense.

Right, that's exactly what I think. From an educational point of view, it doesn't make sense to try to get people to think about diving to "atmospheres".

I guess the basic issue is that the salt/fresh setting on your DC is a fudge factor that will make - for example - your MOD alerts accurate in terms of actual depth under water, even though we have no way of detecting our linear depth under water, so that's really irrelevant. All we can do is detect ambient pressure. If we set the setting wrong, the linear depth will be wrong, but that wouldn't change the MOD or N2 loading calculations.

Not that I know of. An additional sensor adds more cost and another failure point. It's easier to enter salt or fresh water. We already enter in ppO2, fO2, last stop depth, minutes at the safety stop (some computers). On my Shearwater Perdix I can enter EN13319 and forget about setting water type again unless I want a more accurate depth reading. This setting interpolates the water pressure between fresh and salt to provide a depth reading midway. 1 atm (atmosphere gauge) of water pressure is equal to 33 ft of sea water or 34 ft of fresh water, so we're not talking about much difference in depth.

The last sentence should have been qualified for recreational depths. The change in depth between salt and fresh water for equal pressure increases with depth. At 1 atm gauge the salt, fresh, and EN13319 depths are: 33, 34, 33.5. At 2 atm: 66, 68, 67. At 3 atm: 99, 102, 100.5. At 4 atm: 132, 136, 134. The change in pressure however between EN13319 and salt water remains the same. If we express the change as a difference in depth between EN13319 and salt water per atm the result respectively is: 0.5/1, 1/2, 1.5/3, and 2/4 which is 0.5 ft/atm for all depths.

Right, that's exactly what I think. From an educational point of view, it doesn't make sense to try to get people to think about diving to "atmospheres".

I guess the basic issue is that the salt/fresh setting on your DC is a fudge factor that will make - for example - your MOD alerts accurate in terms of actual depth under water, even though we have no way of detecting our linear depth under water, so that's really irrelevant. All we can do is detect ambient pressure. If we set the setting wrong, the linear depth will be wrong, but that wouldn't change the MOD or N2 loading calculations.

ya but imagine having one set of dive tables. one common "depth" gauge. no more converting metric / imperial. no accounting for changes in altitude or salinity. i'm liking this more and more.

Back
Top Bottom