NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and if the CDS actually was smart and got out of training "normal" levels of cave diving, they could be a kind of advisory group for general cave diving standards to all of the agencies as far as best practices go and focus on specialized cave training that the for-profit agencies won't do. The annual conference could be a review of "best practices" and any changes that are coming out, notes about changes of the line, etc. That would encourage ALL cave divers to join, not just those certified by the CDS *which is a huge problem and has been for a long time*. Unfortunately this has been presented to them for at least a decade if not longer, and they want nothing of it.

Gee, I wonder why? Lol
You’re asking them to give up the bulk of their revenue. Who would do that?
I have zero dog in this fight, and believe other agencies do it far better, but I still would never suggest moving away from training.

I think fresh ideas and fresh bod and TD is needed. I think cds needs to get current and out of the 19th century in just about every way possible. But an old dog doesn’t learn new tricks. Until ALL of the original founding fathers (the ones with their archaic ways of doing things) die off, because that’s what it’s going to take, this won’t change. Unless you see someone like me fund 1000 memberships to overthrow the powers that be.

And before you get your feelings hurt, as a founding father, ask yourself if you’ve done a single innovative thing for cave diving in the last ten years, if you have, then I’m not talking about you.

Gee, I wonder why? Lol
You’re asking them to give up the bulk of their revenue. Who would do that?
I have zero dog in this fight, and believe other agencies do it far better, but I still would never suggest moving away from training.

I think fresh ideas and fresh bod and TD is needed. I think cds needs to get current and out of the 19th century in just about every way possible. But an old dog doesn’t learn new tricks. Until ALL of the original founding fathers (the ones with their archaic ways of doing things) die off, because that’s what it’s going to take, this one change. Unless you see someone like me find 1000 memberships to overthrow the powers that be.

And before you get your feelings hurt, as a founding father, ask yourself if you’ve done a single innovative thing for cave diving in the last ten years, if you have, then I’m not talking about you.

Actually, the bulk of the NSS-CDS revenue comes from donations specifically from the Annual International Conference.

Actually, the bulk of the NSS-CDS revenue comes from donations specifically from the Annual International Conference.

What’s the revenue from training and new members from training?

I too have zero dog in this fight
Sounds like to me you are pissed at the CDS because of the lack of recognition of the great job you did with the workshop.

I would be pissed too....

and if the CDS actually was smart and got out of training "normal" levels of cave diving, they could be a kind of advisory group for general cave diving standards to all of the agencies as far as best practices go and focus on specialized cave training that the for-profit agencies won't do. The annual conference could be a review of "best practices" and any changes that are coming out, notes about changes of the line, etc. That would encourage ALL cave divers to join, not just those certified by the CDS *which is a huge problem and has been for a long time*. Unfortunately this has been presented to them for at least a decade if not longer, and they want nothing of it.
I would absolutely contribute to an cave safety organization

Hosting best practices conferences with a webcast option
Publishing an annual "accidents in North American cave diving" or something along the same lines as American Alpine club

Sounds like to me you are pissed at the CDS because of the lack of recognition of the great job you did with the workshop.

I would be pissed too....

Sure, I'm pissed about that.

But I did not resign due to that. I kept trying to be involved. Actually phoned in for a few of the BOD meetings.

I resigned due to having no faith in several of the BOD individuals.

It's really a shame. I'm also a member of the NFSA and some of the greatest experiences I have had Cave Diving have resulted directly from becoming involved with these volunteer organizations.

With the current Covid19 Pandemic considerations, much of the potential volunteer work of these organizations has to be delayed, which is all the more reason that the CDS should be able to take care of some house cleaning issues to make the organization run more smoothly.

Why hasn't the CDS been able to correct the Data Base problems, the Membership (New and Renewal) problems, the Membership Communication, Update the website, Construct a fiscal policy and plan for the large sums of money they have acquired, etc., for the past 11 months if one only reaches back to February?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom