Ultramar Ferry suspended for exceeding capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferry will be an issue now for the foreseeable future until both companies are operating everyday or until another ferry company starts up. Won't matter that they will have a boat on standby...
A third company starting up is unlikely, IMO. If two competing entities share a monopoly they will suddenly become best friends if and when a third party tries to horn in on their business.

What exactly happened to Barcos Caribe anyway? I know about the bombing but didn't pay much attention afterwards.

A third company starting up is unlikely, IMO. If two competing entities share a monopoly they will suddenly become best friends if and when a third party tries to horn in on their business.
Thats the exact reason Barcos Caribe started up. They wanted and did get a big chunk of the monopoly especially with locals. Someone with big pockets will enter the scene again...

Thats the exact reason Barcos Caribe started up. They wanted and did get a big chunk of the monopoly especially with locals. Someone with big pockets will enter the scene again...
I remain skeptical, but time will tell.

What exactly happened to Barcos Caribe anyway? I know about the bombing but didn't pay much attention afterwards.
The government decided they were not safe enough and banned them. After all, they had an explosion!

The government decided they were not safe enough and banned them. After all, they had an explosion!

More to it than that.

Father of the former governor, (still in jail, I think - apple didn't fall far from the tree), was filmed with a backpack, and then without a backpack on the dock in Playa.
Insurance declined to pay out.

All that aside, I was surprised that there hadn't been an "accident" before that. Ultramar and what was Mexico Waterjets lost a ton, (but I think have recouped some of those losses over this last year).

The former governor Roberto Borge Angulo fled the country just prior to the end of his term, while he still had immunity. After that it went downhill cumulating in bombing / insurance job. The boats were put up for sale in 2019
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1Kx_vzYqKSVpVQtJqJRDsK
I think I heard the ferries ended up in Australia??

Last I heard the gov was extradited from Panama and he is in custody.

The two confiscated remaining Barcos caribe ferries were anchored up in front of the Marine base for a few years.
Last year, at some point they were moved.
Who is willing to put their money where their mouth is?
Who has brass balls and wants to go up against the big boys?

For Sale:
Three Barcos Caribe units up for sale to highest bidder - Riviera Maya News

Beat me to the post
Austrailia?

I remember the scandal when they disappeared in the middle of the night down here. With the lack of news here, the news that is distorted and add on top of that translation errors - potholes become headlines and everything is a scandal.

Back
Top Bottom