Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think any band can fail and and they will wear out gradually due daily use, as well. I had my suunto failing at the buckle pin while I was pulling my self onto RIB, I do not exactly know how I managed that but I was lucky not to loose it. I am optimistic, I have not heard any known design problems for garmin.

I realize this is off-topic, and perhaps a noob question (but, well, when it comes to wrist-mounted accessories, I am a noob), however:

The NATO bands and the stretchy ones posted earlier, they all seem like a single strip of fabric. Do they just weave under the watch face? Does that mean they slide around along the band?

Just curious.

I realize this is off-topic, and perhaps a noob question (but, well, when it comes to wrist-mounted accessories, I am a noob), however:

The NATO bands and the stretchy ones posted earlier, they all seem like a single strip of fabric. Do they just weave under the watch face? Does that mean they slide around along the band?

Just curious.

The 4-ring NATO band has 2 strips of fabric. The long strip is woven through the pins. The short strip has 2 rings on it and does not go through the pins. The long strip comes out of the pins and goes through the 2 rings on the short strip. That keeps the watch from sliding along the band.

If you do a web search, I'm sure you can find some pictures to make it more clear.

Yeah, I was actually thinking I would prefer the other one since it seems to be a fabric and elastic blend until you mentioned the length and my bare wrist is about 8 inches.. The one you bought looks like it's the Nato strap equivalent of a bungie.

I received my new straps today. At first, I thought they felt too stretchy. But, after I put one on a Teric and put it on my wrist, I think it's going to be okay. I might even be long and stretchy enough to fit over my drysuit. We'll see.

2021-01-11 15.11.20.jpg

I received my new straps today. At first, I thought they felt too stretchy. But, after I put one on a Teric and put it on my wrist, I think it's going to be okay. I might even be long and stretchy enough to fit over my drysuit. We'll see.

View attachment 635857

Keep us posted. If it's long enough to fit over your drysuit, I might buy a few myself.

Hi,

Can someone explain Maps and navigation options for garmin devices? As far as I understand, you get map for free for the region you buy. Let's say EU. Is it all maps (diving, skiing, roads, golfing)? Let's say I go diving Egypt, then Maldives, then Australia - do I have to buy new maps for each new 3 continents?
For a 1.5k device buying additional maps is like buying a phone for 1.5k and then need to buy charger for additional fee....

I think any band can fail and and they will wear out gradually due daily use, as well. I had my suunto failing at the buckle pin while I was pulling my self onto RIB, I do not exactly know how I managed that but I was lucky not to loose it. I am optimistic, I have not heard any known design problems for garmin.

Sure, bands fail because they're constantly abused. It was between two slots where mine started tearing. The latching mechanism to attach the bands to the watch itself on the other hand is extremely robust.

There are lots of options (street, satellite, terrain, bike paths, nautical, etc) for free Garmin compatible maps (many are probably better than the Garmin version) for anywhere in the world. Check out the link below. Installation is very easy, there are several detailed tutorials on the web. Basically just pick the map type and area you want, download (free) and copy to your watch.
BBBike extracts OpenStreetMap

Does anyone have any info? I am really hoping for Air integration as it seems to be the perfect travel watch (air is the only feature missing from what I can see).

hello, I have Got Useful info right there hopefully it can help you, bud!!!
Garmin Descent MK2 for Air integration

Back
Top Bottom