Selecting the Best BCD for Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeannie Knierim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone!
I am so glad I found this Board!!!

I have yet to have a BCD that felt totally comfortable for me. I ask 5'6" and 170 pounds. Most of the time, I struggle at the surface because the BCD's that I rent seem to flip me forward and I have a hard time stay9ing upright. I also feel like the tank doesn't sit quite right either where it feels comfortable. I have only used the equipment that I rent up until this point. I would like to find one that fits me well, is comfortable, and allows me to stay upright at the surface and have good buoyancy when I am below surface.

I thought I would come to the experts here and ask what ones I should be taking a look at/trying out. :)

Hey Everyone!
I am so glad I found this Board!!!

I have yet to have a BCD that felt totally comfortable for me. I ask 5'6" and 170 pounds. Most of the time, I struggle at the surface because the BCD's that I rent seem to flip me forward and I have a hard time stay9ing upright. I also feel like the tank doesn't sit quite right either where it feels comfortable. I have only used the equipment that I rent up until this point. I would like to find one that fits me well, is comfortable, and allows me to stay upright at the surface and have good buoyancy when I am below surface.

I thought I would come to the experts here and ask what ones I should be taking a look at/trying out. :)

Without knowing you and your bcd, it's hard to say for sure, but my best guess is that you are probably over- or improperly weighted... How much air do you have to put in your BCD at the surface tp get your head above water (just a touch, or a big blast)?

Without knowing you and your bcd, it's hard to say for sure, but my best guess is that you are probably over- or improperly weighted... How much air do you have to put in your BCD at the surface tp get your head above water (just a touch, or a big blast)?
Definitely a big blast

Only you can answer that question.

Based on above your overweighted, how much air do you need to get neutral at depth?

As for best BC, you have 3 types jacket, back plate wing and back inflate. To know the right one you need to use each one a few times and see what you like best.

Hello Jeannie:

We are located in Pearland and can help you with a bcd. We actually go out on dives with people after their purchase to make sure they have everything right.

if you are discerning, we would suggest a plate and wing. That is the only way to get a bcd that fits you perfectly regardless of your height and weight. If it is set up correctly you will be horizontal under water and vertical on the surface without struggling. We have more different plates and wings than anybody in Houston and probably most diveshops in the country.

We are on a dive trip this week, but will be back on Monday, if you would like to discuss options in person.

Getting fitted and comfortable is a lot of work, but well worth it. Scubaboard is an excellent resource filled with opinions of divers, but it only will serve to inform you as you make your decisions. Sounds like you have a local SB'er shop willing to take you through the process, so I suggest doing that. It's a lot easier. You have a lot of work to do with your buoyancy, weighting, and trim from the sound of you first post, so you probably would be better off not having to become an expert on bcd's on top of it. I can assure you that doing so is a PITA when you are starting out.

Most of the time, I struggle at the surface because the BCD's that I rent seem to flip me forward and I have a hard time stay9ing upright.

I know that feeling all too well. I compensate with using trim pockets located on the tank strap. After I lost 34# I only need around 6# of lead to get me down (5'10" 165#). I no longer use my integrated weight pockets, only the trim pockets (3+3).

I'd be willing to guess the back inflate BC is what is doing that to you (and me).

That being said, my large BC is too big and I will move to a medium jacket style - I will never buy a back inflate again.

I know that feeling all too well. I compensate with using trim pockets located on the tank strap. After I lost 34# I only need around 6# of lead to get me down (5'10" 165#). I no longer use my integrated weight pockets, only the trim pockets (3+3).

I'd be willing to guess the back inflate BC is what is doing that to you (and me).

That being said, my large BC is too big and I will move to a medium jacket style - I will never buy a back inflate again.

Just goes to show how much of this sport is personal preference...... I will never dive a jacket again, BPW or back inflate for me.

I's suggest one of two options:

A.) Back plate & wing - highly customizable and can be fairly budget friendly depending on what you get. If you jump into something like a Halcyon ($$$) you'll be spending quite a bit of coin. Many many options out there for going this route and you can pick and choose components from different manufacturers to sort of Frankenstein your own rig if you so choose.

B.) Zeagle Zena - Back inflate BC with I believe a 34# bladder that offers a very customizable bit due to its modular design. You can choose different sizes for the shoulders, main body, corset, etc. and it's designed specifically for women. Even comes with trim pockets on the lower cam band, allowing you to put up to 10# round your tank, centering that weight along your spine, which will help keep you in good horizontal trim beneath the surface and fairly vertical on the surface as long as you don't fill your BC to capacity. Another cool feature of the Zena of the screw-off power inflator that also connects to a standard water hose so you can easily rinse the inside of the BC after your dives.

Either of these options will require you to consciously try to lay back on the surface, as if you're trying to use the bladder for a pillow. But once you get accustomed to it, it becomes second-nature and gets to be quite comfortable, especially at the end of the dive when you're waiting for the boat to pick you up or kicking back to shore.

If you have the option, try both of these out and see which one feels better in the water then make your decision based on that. Hope this helps!

Zeagle Zena

Aqualung makes a similar style where you can switch out the straps for fit, different weight dump system between the two. I'm sure other manufacturers make something similar as well.

Back
Top Bottom