What's the benefit of American Air's Business Class Now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at booking a trip to Cozumel, $526 from Lubbock or $784 in Business.

I'd pay $258 more to upgrade, but save $140 in luggage fees roundtrip, so net paid $118.

The seats are roomier DFW-CZM, but my flights from Lubbock to DFW and return are on commuter planes without those.

You used to get nice services with free booze and such on the international legs, but I've read from one poster that he had a bag with a cooke and bottle of water given at the first of the flight but that was it!​

I'm a big enough fellow, but tough enough that I can sleep in the tiny coach seats ok, so what's the point.

AA Suxs overall, with that being said, they were my favorite first class on domestic flights in the past (they serve warm peanuts)...YRMV?

Domestic first class with AA is still doing beverage service. I've never had an issue getting a drink on the longer flights (flights to/from IAH, DFW, CLT and BOS) and on the shorter flights it seems hit or miss (CRP to DFW). It seems rarer that I'm offered a pre-flight drink in the past year. I've been flying American every three weeks including at the beginning of the pandemic (critical infrastructure worker) with a mix of first and coach tickets.

In the past few years, I've been able to enjoy flying first/business class when the price is right. I have flown on American in business/first class several times post-COVID. Pre-COVID times, you got a pillow, a blanket, predeparture drink service, a warm towel for hand wiping pre-meal service, a hot meal with real dinnerware (not plastic) and dessert, and unlimited beverages.

Post-COVID times (as of December when I last flew), you get none of the above except the unlimited beverages and the meal service is a boxed snack-pack. Pro Tip: Avoid the sandwich (it's dried out and gross). Upon boarding, you will be given a bag with a tiny bottle of water, a 2-pack of Biscoff cookies, and a single hand wipe. This is for all passengers regardless of class of service. Coffee and tea service has been eliminated for now on all flights. The flight attendants don't "attend" to you like they used to. If you want something, say another drink or to dispose of your trash, you've got to ring the bell. So, what's left? You've got a roomier seat, 2 free bags up to 70 pounds each, first to board, plenty of overhead bin space, and use of the bathroom at the front of the plane. That's enough for me, especially since I'm coming from the Northwest.

Just curious, did you know that American has nonstop service from DFW to CZM?

Pro Tip: If you're on a 737-800 in first class, the first row seats are best. American has crammed 4 rows of seats in first class, and if you're sitting in rows 2-4 and the person in front of you reclines, their seat is in your face.

2 included bags at 70lbs each! Where as the $140 was 2 bags at 50lbs each.

2 included bags at 70lbs each! Where as the $140 was 2 bags at 50lbs each.
Insignificant benefit in addition to roomy seats & minimum service on half of my flights.

Now today we're warned that we may get locked out of return if we fail a Covid test at our own expense. As much as I like diving warm Cozumel waters, US national parks are looking even more appealing.

Insignificant benefit in addition to roomy seats & minimum service on half of my flights.

For me it helps as I can fit all my cave gear in two 70 pound bags, while with the 50lb limit I have to take three bags. Two bags are easier to deal with too. But your mileage may vary.

I'm looking at booking a trip to Cozumel, $526 from Lubbock or $784 in Business. I'd pay $258 more to upgrade, but save $140 in luggage fees roundtrip, so net paid $118.The seats are roomier DFW-CZM, but my flights from Lubbock to DFW and return are on commuter planes without those.You used to get nice services with free booze and such on the international legs, but I've read from one poster that he had a bag with a cooke and bottle of water given at the first of the flight but that was it!

I'm a big enough fellow, but tough enough that I can sleep in the tiny coach seats ok, so what's the point.

FLIGHTS.jpeg

Just because this always bugs me a little: Airfare in those days, on a purchasing power parity basis, would allow you to charter a light jet today.

As the occasional Southwest FA admits, what we're accustomed to today is Greyhound of the Skies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom