What's this tube creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Seen in the shallows at Blue Heron Bridge on Christmas Eve. It's around 1.5 ft/.5m long.

ANMR0283_exported_0_1610482995456.jpg

Also there's a 2 second video of it moving at https://photos.app.goo.gl/BhZXbpew2xPHdLo79

Thanks. I guess it had just swallowed something big.

Thinking perhaps a Phylum Sipuncula or Peanut Worm..given length and longitude lines?

Thinking perhaps a Phylum Sipuncula or Peanut Worm..given length and longitude lines?
I could find no species registry that mentioned peanut worms longer than 20cm.

It was definitely in the 1-2' range. We watched it for a full minute from a few feet away. The instructor (my son was doing his OW class) didn't have any idea what it was.

I could find no species registry that mentioned peanut worms longer than 20cm.
Tha'ts true Ribbon worms definitely longer, but body shape generally flatter as well/? At least those I have observed diving .

Tha'ts true Ribbon worms definitely longer, but body shape generally flatter as well/? At least those I have observed diving .
Here is a page from Humann, Deloach, Wilk: Reef Creature ID, Tropical Western Atlantic, showing some unidentified ribbon worms. I don't think they are always flat!
upload_2021-1-13_14-13-28.png

I think it had just eaten something which could account for the shape. It was writhing around and contracting and expanding body segments. Looked like a special effect from a horror movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom