New USA cdc requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How so?

Let’s take a hypothetical week trip to Cozumel, Arrival Saturday, somehow manage to forget my mask and I decide to eat inside a restaurant on Wednesday. I very dutifully go for my return home Covid test on Thursday and miraculously get my negative result on Friday so board and return home Saturday. Then develop symptoms on Monday.

How did the test help?

And why on earth was the vaccine option omitted?
If you have to travel for leisure in the midst of a pandemic you are part of the problem not the solution.

If you have to travel for leisure in the midst of a pandemic you are part of the problem not the solution.
An alternative solution that doesn’t shut down entire economies and might actually work, unlike the current plan, would be for people just act more sensibly when they leave their house.

It's sad but true. Here's the CDC press release. Coronavirus Disease 2019
This is going to kill the struggling travel and dive industry. For one, liveaboards are going to lose bookings. How can you possibly get a COVID test when you're on a dive boat and flying home the day you come back to the dock? And if you test positive, you're forced to remain in a foreign country till you test negative.

It's sad but true. Here's the CDC press release. Coronavirus Disease 2019
This is going to kill the struggling travel and dive industry. For one, liveaboards are going to lose bookings. How can you possibly get a COVID test when you're on a dive boat and flying home the day you come back to the dock? And if you test positive, you're forced to remain in a foreign country till you test negative.
and can get the result in the time period to catch your flight.

This is what we face with our liveaboard in May. Even if we change plans and stay over what is the chances of reliably getting a test done and the results back in the 3 day time limit, especially in undeveloped countries? And which test is required?

By the end of the month I will have completed by vaccines. No word of that but looks like I could get some sort of proof of prior infection then should be good to go? I just don’t get it.

How did the test help?

The only way it helps is that it gives one documentation that gets them on the plane. Also accepted can be documentation of a recovery. It's playing the game whether it makes sense or not.

As to it's benefit as a diagnostic tool that matters, it obviously could be useless. In an article I read, the CDC Director stated "Testing does not eliminate all risks." The website also reads to get tested 3-5 days after returning from your trip and quarantine 7 days.

COVID-19 in Mexico - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4: COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

But it seems same traveler from Mexico could just hop in a car and drive home...

Restrictions are in place until Feb. 21 between the U.S. - Mexico border for non-essential travel which includes tourism and recreation. I guess one could argue diving is essential to their mental health.

I foresee Mexico imposing some type of their own stricter regulations. Just another reason to not to schedule trips out of the country too far in advance as the rules are going to be changing, IMO, for the next several months.

I see a burgeoning black market for counterfeit test results- or "labs" that pop up and offer guaranteed results.

The time share hawkers and cruise ship remoras need a new hustle, this is perfect!

I have had to show negative results for travel during the pandemic, and the checkers often barely glimpse at the paperwork. As long as the names match, the results are negative and the dates are good, everyone got the red stamp.

Not saying this is right or wrong, just observing that a system/process is only as good as it's controls.

And why on earth was the vaccine option omitted?

Because the WHO has stated that someone with the vaccine could become a asymptomatic carrier of the virus.

Because the WHO has stated that someone with the vaccine could become a asymptomatic carrier of the virus.
But yet they let you pass with documentation of prior infection, for which there is evidence of less protection than from the vaccine so carries the same or more risk of asymptomatic carriage.

But yet they let you pass with documentation of prior infection, for which there is evidence of less protection than from the vaccine so carries the same or more risk of asymptomatic carriage.

I never said any of these made sense.

Back
Top Bottom