Flaska-Tank & gas calculation app

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Android is coming, it's in review with Google since yesterday. I haven't been able to test on any actual Android device so who knows, it might work.

The rock bottom section at the top shows what goes into the rock bottom gas volume. You can configure your SAC rate (of course) and the times and SAC multipliers for the various stages. By default it starts with four minutes at depth at four times SAC (two excited divers troubleshooting), ascent at the usual rate at four times SAC and a safety stop at two times SAC. This isn't entirely precise of course as part of the ascent is above the safety stop and perhaps should have a lower SAC, but it's minor. Since you can set the times in question you can remove the safety stop (zero minutes) if you don't want it as part of your calculation. Or lower the SAC multipliers if you want the calculation to apply to just yourself and not yourself plus a buddy, or whatever.

The above rock bottom gas volume then becomes the rock bottom pressure for each cylinder ("RB"). The gas time is the time at your normal SAC at the configured depth until you reach the rock bottom pressure figured from above.

For me, as a newbie switching around between different kinds of tanks, this has been useful in getting a feeling for what to expect in gas time and how much to keep in reserve with some sort of scientific basis behind it. OW rec only though, of course.

Some of us (at least me) would be happy to test out the app a little before Google "approves" it? If you want to share before it hits the shelves....

Thanks, checking it out!

Looks really good. On the transfill page, when a result gives "T1", T2" and "Twinset", what exactly are those results? Also, the prompt text on the pressure entry when defining a tank says "Pressure in PSI" even when the option for "Bar" is selected. No big deal, the entry in bar still works just so you have a heads up.

Thanks for the notice, I'll fix the units.

It calculates the transfill to twinsets by first filling one half of the twinset and noting the resulting pressure (T1), then taking that as the source fill pressure for the other half and noting that pressure (T2), and then blending T1 and T2 for the resulting twinset pressure.

Great idea and a nice simple design.

I have a couple of questions/observations on the App (NOTE: I'm using imperial units and on IOS):

1. Gas calculation for safety stop seems slightly off.
For example, using a SAC of 0.7, Safety Stop for 3 min @ 15 ft with SAC multiplier 1.0
Doing this long hand: 15ft = (15/33)+1 = 1.45 ATA: Gas Consumed = 1.45 * 0.7 * 3 = 3 cuft but the App calculates at 2.6
Tiny difference, but thought I'd mention it as feedback

2. I cannot make any changes to the Pressure Sliders in Settings. Whatever value I enter gets changed by the app when I move to a different field. I suspect that when I enter a value in PSI (e.g. 3000 PSI) it converts it to bar (206 bar) and displays the value in bar.
As a result the values for Gas, Gas Time and RB in the Cylinder section is meaningless (Cylinder spec is HP 100: Imperial, Steel, 100 cuft, Pressure=3440

Keep up the good work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom