Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind for Cozumel or any other place, is that their info on availability of testing and turnaround times is only accurate as of now. No one knows if they will hold when every US tourist will require a test, and their load increases 1000% or more.

This one has me concerned. As does the off-chance I end up with the virus and then, as USA today wrote, I have an extended international vacation at my expense.

I'm not sure a five day trip to COZ for diving in 25 days is going to be worth it. That is what I'm wrestling with.

Have a trip planned to Coz in March, seriously thinking about canceling and heading to the keys or St.Croix. Any benefits gained by low cost flights and lodging are thrown out the window if you have to pay for an expensive test. Plus, the logistical and financial nightmare if test comes back positive, quarantine in a hotel for two weeks. Ouch.

Do you have a piece of paper saying you recovered? This is all getting kind of out of hand and nonsensical.
I never went for a test after my symptoms cleared, to get a "Negative". Wouldn't they say "Well that was too long ago...you may have it now.". Wasn't worried about that documentation until yesterday.

Yes, everything related to Covid has become nonsensical.

Plus, the logistical and financial nightmare if test comes back positive, quarantine in a hotel for two weeks. Ouch.

Quarantine? That's a good outcome. Covid is not always such a forgiving beast. That could be a REAL financial nightmare.

Yesterday the USA had 223,628 new cases of Covid 19. Mexico had 7,594. Who's bringing what where?

My wife and I both had Covid over the Christmas season, and have recovered. Anyone have any idea if we are "good to go"? I know it's a stretch to try to get in the mind (or lack thereof) of Government, but I'm asking for your thoughts.

I'm sorry this isn't really an answer, just conjecture, but I'd guess a negative test would be evidence of recovery. I don't suppose you can say "I'm now asymptomatic. I feel fine. Fully recovered." :(

Have a trip planned to Coz in March, seriously thinking about canceling and heading to the keys or St.Croix. Any benefits gained by low cost flights and lodging are thrown out the window if you have to pay for an expensive test. Plus, the logistical and financial nightmare if test comes back positive, quarantine in a hotel for two weeks. Ouch.

Bingo.

Yesterday the USA had 223,628 new cases of Covid 19. Mexico had 7,594. Who's bringing what where?

I think we need to look more specifically than that. How are cases trending in the places most visited by foreign tourists? Asymptomatic US travelers have likely been bringing the virus to the resort areas for some time, and I have no idea whether there is enough testing for that to show up in the statistics Mexico publishes. In terms of risk of spreading infection, I--and I can speak only for myself--would consider travel between a US city and Cancun, Cozumel, etc., the same as I would consider travel between US cities. And that is something I have been refraining from doing.

By the way, the CDC's website continues to advise "Travelers should avoid all travel to Mexico." Seems like the most prudent advice for now. Sit tight. Diving is just a hobby. Vaccines are coming!

Hi,

As a person that does analytical testing for a living (though NOT covid tests), do give some consideration to false positives. Both of the tests discussed have a false positive rate and one is worse than the other.

Do give some consideration what your contingency plan will be if you get a positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom