Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-2: we just cancelled the tickets for end of April -- still in the 24-hours "booking period" and we didn't even e-mail back the signed resort form yet. I suspect your only hope at this point is if the airlines get together and impeach the CDC: clearly, the problem is not whether you can or cannot get tested on the island, it's what idiocy they come up with three days before your flight back, and whether you can comply with it then.

PS. it'd be interesting to see how much money the airlines lost in cancellations this week.

Canada has been requiring this for awhile already with some kind of quarantine at home, NYC had some quarantine.

It's just the panic mode that is starting that is BS - IMO, if you want to travel, you felt safe enough to book a trip - this little BS testing requirement shouldn't stop you - Fear Mongering is all it is.

So what happens if you test positive? Probably a good thing to know, go rent a cheap AirBnB and do what anyone else does that gets sick.... If you doubt the result, get another test - order some take out food and relax - hopefully you don't get real sick. The sun comes up, the sun sets.

I'd pure guess, as long as you act responsibly here, the odds of you getting sick are less here than at home during your normal daily life - pure guess but it isn't some raging nightmare here.

Well - assuming the reporting is accurate and this goes through.

US to require negative Covid tests for international passengers - including citizens

What are the options for getting tested on the island?
The CDC.gov wesite (updated today) states:
When do I need to get a test to travel to the US? And what kind of test do I need?
Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

This looks like the low cost rapid antigen test is allowed for the US, not limited to the more expensive and more time consuming PCR test required by Canada.
Costamed's website (last updated in December) lists the rapid test for $999MXN ($50 USD). Since the rapid test does not require a lab and takes about 15 minute I would expect the local walkin clinics to also offer it at reduced cost (last few times I went to see a doctor at these clinics the cost was under $5 a visit).
Back in December in DFW AA was doing free tests for selected flights that required testing and allowed quick tests so l expect either the local governments and / or clinics or the airlines in partnership will step up to the plate. There is simply to much of the fragile economy at sake here.

So what happens if you test positive? Probably a good thing to know, go rent a cheap AirBnB and do what anyone else does that gets sick....

You just raised a very important issue I hadn't thought of; what if you're on-island, test positive, and now you can't fly home? You don't have a pre-arranged place to stay at this point?

The AirBnB option you mentioned may not work unless you lie or keep your status secret. Otherwise, it'd be like calling up and saying 'Oh, hi, I'm Typhoid Mary and I'd like a room...'

While transmission via contact with contaminated surfaces is less common than inhalation, from what I've read, it can still happen. Nobody wants someone with COVID in their rental unit. No one would want to rent from someone who allowed COVID+ renters in the unit, either.

So, guys, what happens when you test + on some Caribbean island? Or mainland Mexico or Belize?

We were last there during Gamma and Delta and we have another trip/week planned for this Valentine’s Day.

This won’t stop us/change our plans in any real significant way; we’re going to secure a letter from our doctors before we leave and we will be ready to take another test as a back up plan while we are there if need be.

I feel terrible for the operators and businesses. I feel like they need us now more than ever. I feel hopeful for the lesser dove/lesser stressed reefs, they appeared to be doing great without us in October.

I heavily enjoyed the lack of crowds compared to our previous trips and I am sure I will again. Everyone has to make their own choices for themselves but I don’t feel like this is a dealbreaker for us. Happy to update on our experiences upon return.

When we were diving in Cozumel early in Dec one guy did not feel well. They tested him and the test was negative. He was back on the boat the day we were leaving.

The vaccine just teaches your body to produce antibodies. If you already have them, not sure what good a vaccine does for you. Antibodies doesn't prevent the virus from invading your body, it just means your body can respond to it before it build up and cause damage. But this virus is unusual in that it is contagious very early, before symptoms are expressed.

What I don't get is if proof of vaccination isn't accepted in lieu of a test then why is proof that you've already had it?
Good question. You will not get a good answer. However the CDC guidelines do not want you to retest after you get over the virus. Because of course, you are likely to still test positive. So they accept a doctor saying you are over it without a retest.

The CDC.gov wesite (updated today) states:
When do I need to get a test to travel to the US? And what kind of test do I need?
Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

This looks like the low cost rapid antigen test is allowed for the US, not limited to the more expensive and more time consuming PCR test required by Canada.
Costamed's website (last updated in December) lists the rapid test for $999MXN ($50 USD). Since the rapid test does require a lab and takes about 15 minute I would expect the local walkin clinics to also offer it at reduced cost (last few times I went to see a doctor at these clinics the cost was under $5 a visit).
Back in December in DFW AA was doing free tests for selected flights that required testing and allowed quick tests so l expect either the local governments and / or clinics or the airlines in partnership will step up to the plate. There is simply to much of the fragile economy at sake here.
All good, no problem, out of each 100 healthy people how many will get positive tests? CDC doesn't want you to take a covid test to show you are over covid because you are likely to test positive even if you are over it. They will accept a positive test from before the trip, a waiting period, and a doctors statement that you are over it to get on the airplane. So what happens if the cold you had in December was actually covid, you are over it, and get a positive test before your flight home but you were never tested before?

All good, no problem, out of each 100 healthy people how many will get positive tests?

Last I heard rapid tests are known to be relatively accurate on the positive side for the subjects with high viral loads. If you actually care about not letting infected people in (the obvious "bolting the stable door" issue aside), it's the false negatives you should worry about.

Last I heard rapid tests are known to be relatively accurate on the positive side for the subjects with high viral loads. If you actually care about not letting infected people in (the obvious "bolting the stable door" issue aside), it's the false negatives you should worry about.
CDC study shows COVID-19 rapid tests not as accurate as first reported

41% accurate in those without symptoms. This is the group that I'm concerned about. False positives, false negatives. lmost everyone who tests to see if they can get on the plane will be without symptoms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom