Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re false positives in PCR test, here is a good link.
Yes, "So, with a 1-percent infection rate in the test population, a false-positive rate of only 0.5 percent leads to nearly 40 percent of the positive results being wrong." Very likely 1% of returning vacationers are not actually infected so the false positive rate goes even higher.

Yes, "So, with a 1-percent infection rate in the test population, a false-positive rate of only 0.5 percent leads to nearly 40 percent of the positive results being wrong." Very likely 1% of returning vacationers are not actually infected so the false positive rate goes even higher.
Glad you got it.

Indeed, but AFAIK the current guesstimate is the prevalence in US is more like over 10%, with a guesstimated 30 to 40% asymptomatic cases that may or may not be factored in the 10% number. Plug 10% infection rate in the formulae and see how many of the positive results are wrong then.

Canada has been requiring this for awhile already with some kind of quarantine at home, NYC had some quarantine....
Canada announced "it" (covid test) on Dec 31 effective Jan 7 with very little specific details until about Jan 6ish. The airlines where a bit frantic as they were on the hook to enforce it, but did not yet fully understand what "it" was. Seems the CDC has done a better job of defining the issues before the deadline.

There have been stranded Canadians.

Since the start of this Canada has told citizens not to travel outside of the country and warned that covid rules (ours and everyone else) could change. Seems the federals do not have much sympathy for international travellers.

Indeed, but AFAIK the current guesstimate is the prevalence in US is more like over 10%, with a guesstimated 30 to 40% asymptomatic cases that may or may not be factored in the 10% number. Plug 10% infection rate in the formulae and see how many of the positive results are wrong then.
Easy: about 1 in 20 positives.

Seems the federals do not have much sympathy for international travellers.

Partly. You missed the timing of the announcement. It was rushed without consultations with the airlines not so much to reduce the 2% of covid from travel, but to deflect the outrage that was building with the news of politicians and bureaucrats sunny ways vacations.

My wife and I are booked to return on 4 Feb for a week of diving with Salty Endeavors. I am a little concerned about the pressure this will put on testing resources in Cozumel. For now we are still planning to travel. My wife has had both vaccine shots, and I have had the first. I am scheduled to receive the second the day after we return from Coz. I guess if the worst happens and we get a positive test result we may have to bunk with Henry, the owner of Salty Endeavors. Hopefully his AirBnB is still available then.......

My wife and I are booked to return on 4 Feb for a week of diving with Salty Endeavors. I am a little concerned about the pressure this will put on testing resources in Cozumel. For now we are still planning to travel. My wife has had both vaccine shots, and I have had the first. I am scheduled to receive the second the day after we return from Coz. I guess if the worst happens and we get a positive test result we may have to bunk with Henry, the owner of Salty Endeavors. Hopefully his AirBnB is still available then.......

Good to know that Henry is accepting Covid positive clients. :cool:

Do you have a cite that guestimates 10% of Americans are currently positive for the novel coronavirus?

Look at "percent positive" line on any of the worldometer, CDC, etc. graph.

Screenshot_20210114-111732.png

The International Hospital downtown has the rapid test for $49USD. Then again the hoodlums down on 7th & Melgar could probably also get you test results and anything else you may want.

Back
Top Bottom