Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding lost cameras at the boat side, I can't remember who it was here who released his camera tether at the side of a Tres Pelicanos boat and it disappeared into the depths. Between the drift and waiting for other divers to get on board it seemed lost for good but 3P's captain and DM went back to the area the next day where they thought it was dropped and the DM went down and found it on the bottom around 130' in about 5-10 minutes. No GPS on board mind you to mark the spot! That was an epic above and beyond camera recovery by a dive op and a testament to how well these captains know exactly where there they are all the time.

UPDATE... It was Cicopo in Jan 2018 diving with 3P's.

Lost camera & strobes, end of Colombia

I had stopped drinking coffee for 2 years (I know crazy) and was only drinking tea. Then a friend turned me onto the French Press way of making coffee and I'm back! That K-cup maker went to Good Will. No wonder I stopped coffee, those k-cups are nasty-stale, old, bleh. I will probably bring a small French Press w/me on next trip so all I need is hot water in my room :)

Check out some of the collapsible electric travel kettles on Amazon to bring with your French Press. They are pretty cool and are small for travel. There are piles of them available but read the reviews as some are far better than others. Like everything, ya tend to get what ya pay for.

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GK33...s=gourmia+travel+kettle&qid=1582326613&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Secura-HF021...=gourmia+travel+kettle&qid=1582326683&sr=8-16

I have no reason to doubt your veracity, but then again, I have no reason to question the integrity of the Blue XT Sea crew after 200+ dives with them. Was no explanation given? Also, who was the dive guide and captain that day and when did this occur? I am not sure what actually happened based on your response? You handed it up and they dropped it? If so, did no one attempt to retrieve it. You handed it up and then got back to shore after diving and it wasn't on the boat? Weird and I can't imagine @Christi not making things right with you.

@trailboss this is is the first I’ve ever heard of this claim - it was not reported to me - this is a personal issue Darol has with me

Check out some of the collapsible electric travel kettles on Amazon to bring with your French Press. They are pretty cool and are small for travel. There are piles of them available but read the reviews as some are far better than others. Like everything, ya tend to get what ya pay for.

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GK33...s=gourmia+travel+kettle&qid=1582326613&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Secura-HF021...=gourmia+travel+kettle&qid=1582326683&sr=8-16

Thanks so much deepsea21! I didn't think about getting a collapsible kettle. Great idea and will definitely look into it. I am a pretty efficient packer, and have gone on cruises with just carry-on luggage. For dive trips always have my Stahlsac checked bag for my gear, but everything fits with room to spare, so a travel kettle & French Press will be fine to add. After all, on a dive trip what do you need other than dive gear, couple of swimsuits and shorts/tees?

Oh how could I forget....and a good cup 'o Joe.

Yes it was me who lost his camera & Steve & his crew did an awesome job of recovering it. Sadly it worked for 1 more day of diving before retiring. It had seen lots of use & I tore it down (knowing I couldn't repair it) to see if any water had invaded it but there was no evidence it had seen even 1 drop of salt water.

New to SB ...I can only share my positive experience with Tres Pelicanos following trip over the recent holidays. They took great care of our gear, made every effort to match divers experience on the boat so that we could maximize the type of site we as divers chose or the DM recommended due to conditions. Boat captains are amazing both at dropping you right on the site and at being right there when you end the dive even without requiring the whole group to surface at the sametime. allowing us to manage/maximize our dives dependant on differing profiles. Flexibility if doing both morning and afternoon dives to either return to the marina or get dropped at a beachside restaurant and then be picked up from there was great also.

pairing divers by experiencie on the boat and lots of gas as it advantages, like diving everywhere around the island

Attachments

• IMG_2537.PNG
    IMG_2537.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2984.PNG
    IMG_2984.PNG
    101.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2988.PNG
    IMG_2988.PNG
    86.4 KB · Views: 78
Memo and his staff at Aldora are 1st class. There guides know those reefs like the back of there hands. First name bases with all the life and where to find them. From the best drift dives to finding the smallest subjects for photo you will not be sorry.

The short answer is that they are both excellent, highly respected dive operations. The main differences I know of are that Tres Pelicanos is less expensive and Aldora uses larger tanks. Aldora does more diving on the north end but otherwise they pretty much go to the same sites.

The short answer is that they are both excellent, highly respected dive operations. The main differences I know of are that Tres Pelicanos is less expensive and Aldora uses larger tanks. Aldora does more diving on the north end but otherwise they pretty much go to the same sites.

Not so Gordon, Aldora takes divers to places no other shop even tries. Again I no longer have financial interest in Aldora but I know what I set up…and special pristine dive sites with unusual big creatures can not be enjoyed by any other operation…they don't have the will nor the way.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom