What does "blown out" mean for springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to this: Real-Time River Levels we're not in a flood situation. However, last Sunday I was at Troy and it was very high.

I hear that Peacock is officially "blown out" or not diveable due to river water intrusion. :(

Haven't seen this anywhere else. If so, that's a bummer

It’s an intrusion of river water do to river rise. If you can picture diving in the river, thats the viz you’d expect..

For those who are more familiar with the area; I am planning a trip to high springs in a few days to do some diving. Already have off work and would hate to have to cancel. How long does it look like the popular places will be out? We were looking at mostly high springs area such as jug, p1, and some open water in troy and royal, but also planned to make a day for buford as well. Any chance they will be clearing up next week? Is buford at risk of loosing viz?

It is likely that everything other than Ginnie will be blown in that area for several weeks. You may want to redirect to Marianna

It’s an intrusion of river water do to river rise. If you can picture diving in the river, thats the viz you’d expect..

For those who are more familiar with the area; I am planning a trip to high springs in a few days to do some diving. Already have off work and would hate to have to cancel. How long does it look like the popular places will be out? We were looking at mostly high springs area such as jug, p1, and some open water in troy and royal, but also planned to make a day for buford as well. Any chance they will be clearing up next week? Is buford at risk of loosing viz?

Not sure of your certification level. But if your not familiar with the area keep in mind that at Peacock open water divers are allowed in Orange Grove Sink only and they may not use lights. So you would need cave certification to dive P1 and likely anything at Marianna as well.

Aside from Ginnie other options may be Blue Grotto and Devils Den.

Dive Outpost usually posts area conditions on there Facebook page.

Dive Outpost usually posts area conditions on there Facebook page.
Thanks, happy to add it to my references! It seems their last update was 1/6, though.

Thanks, happy to add it to my references! It seems their last update was 1/6, though.

Coincidentally, they just posted an update:

**Conditions Update January 14, 2021**
Orange Grove is clear from the basin, past Challenge, and halfway to P1.
Madison, Little River, Telford, and Cow remain browned out.
River levels are now dropping and we should begin to see clearing soon!

Coincidentally, they just posted an update:

**Conditions Update January 14, 2021**
Orange Grove is clear from the basin, past Challenge, and halfway to P1.
Madison, Little River, Telford, and Cow remain browned out.
River levels are now dropping and we should begin to see clearing soon!
Awesome! When they say levels are dropping, does that give hope that it could be clear in a few days? Im newly full cave and my wife is cavern.

does that give hope that it could be clear in a few days?
It's always wait and see. Sry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom