Do you need a dive flag for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I start and end the shore dive with a flag, well most of the time anyway. Sometimes (well often) I attach the flag to a rock or some extra lead and wander around in between. No one except another diver is going to track your bubbles. Seriously, there are some places where a flag is good sense and some places where its just checking the box to avoid a ticket or an extra layer of protection. Boaters / jet skis don't respect the flag very much so you can't really rely on it. You need to be aware of your surroundings when you surface every single time Knowing where you are and avoiding a peek-a-boo to determine you location is essential. Shooting a tube before you surface in deep water is much easier than towing a flag around.

full.jpg

Yes, it's Florida. It's required by law.

Do you use them everywhere at all times?

The only time when you don't need one is when you are inside a designated swimming area.

Funny, I just asked a while back on the Eastern Canada subforum if anyone knew of a flag law in Nova Scotia. No real positive answers, so we assume no. You'd think you could google the answer somewhere.

I was pulling a dive flag next to a pier in Lake Michigan when suddenly I was being dragged backwards and up to the surface. There I found a fisherman who was very surprised to see me attached to his new prize. I yelled at him, he dropped the flag then. I guess I wasn’t in season or legal size...

I was hooked twice- in the wetsuit- once in NJ, once in FL. -- Both times I was carrying my flag. No damage done.

My flag has been hooked a few times, and it is common knowledge to be wary of the fishermen at Blue Heron Bridge who seem to think it's fun to steal flags, but have never been caught.

When diving the St Lawrence River we generally do not generally deploy a dive flag as most dives are not close to shore. However, we always deploy SMB for safety stop due to boat traffic and, of course, for pick-up, visual location by other divers etc.

When diving the St Lawrence River we generally do not generally deploy a dive flag as most dives are not close to shore. However, we always deploy SMB for safety stop due to boat traffic and, of course, for pick-up, visual location by other divers etc.
Is the flag required in the St. Lawrence? In Ont., Quebec?

Is the flag required in the St. Lawrence? In Ont., Quebec?

Quite honestly, I don't remember. But your question did remind me of a few drift dives closer to shore where we did in fact use a dive flag. So, they are probably recommended. I can't speak for Quebec.

Back
Top Bottom