Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why they’ve chosen to include individuals who have had the disease but exclude people who’ve been vaccinated is beyond my pay-grade.

At least in one of those pages it says "had the disease and recovered in the last 90 days". Presumably there's evidence that immunity lasts a couple of months after you've recovered.

At least in one of those pages it says "had the disease and recovered in the last 90 days". Presumably there's evidence that immunity lasts a couple of months after you've recovered.
My thoughts only but I believe it is not for the immunity but because these individuals can still test positive but not be considered infectious. So my guess is they get a pass because a repeat PCR within 90 days of infection is not recommended and a positive would not mean reinfection.

When one considers that by some estimates 50% of people infected are asymptomatic (never get sick and, therefore, never get tested) the actual # of US cases to date is potentially about 50,000,000 which would result in a 0.8% mortality rate.

Then, lets remember that a few months ago the WHO announced that it estimated 10% of the global population had been exposed to Covid. By today it could easily be 30% due to the exponential spread but let's say it's only 20% and be conservative. At 20% of the global population that is 1.56 Billion people exposed and with 2.2 Million deaths world wide that would be down to almost a 0.1% mortality rate.

In short, Covid isn't some sinister bug. What is sinister is the way those in power globally are using it as an excuse to enact radical policies and make laws that chip away at people's freedoms. A poor, hungry and fearful population is far easier to rule and manipulate than a wealthy, well fed, and courageous population.
To you and all those that think similarly, I invite you to volunteer to work a covid unit.

To you and all those that think similarly, I invite you to volunteer to work a covid unit.
Your spot on. Maybe just a walk through the ICU units of their local hospitals will wake them up?

Your spot on. Maybe just a walk through the ICU units of their local hospitals will wake them up?

IME those who profess such things ("Covid isn't some sinister bug") cling tightly to their opinions and are not swayed by objective facts, their concerns are exclusively focused inward rather than on any sense of shared responsibility or concern for a greater good. A walk through an ICU ward isn't going to change that.

In happier news, get Cozumel spruced up and lay in some tequila, its getting closer for us.....

upload_2021-1-16_13-25-37.png

Have a trip planned to Coz in March, seriously thinking about canceling and heading to the keys or St.Croix. Any benefits gained by low cost flights and lodging are thrown out the window if you have to pay for an expensive test. Plus, the logistical and financial nightmare if test comes back positive, quarantine in a hotel for two weeks. Ouch.

St Croix, as well as most of the Caribbean islands have the same kind of requirements for testing. It is the U.S. that is putting everyone into a tailspin. I live in Cozumel and feel very, very safe, but to be honest. I do try and stay my distance from people visiting the island from the U.S. given the lack of control for wearing masks and social distancing in many cities and states and high numbers of infection. I for one, would not even think about going to vacation in Florida right now with the numbers the way they are. I have family there and they told me to stay in Mexico. lol . It is a tough call.

Do keep in mind that the tests run about $50 -$60usd here in Coumel. So, it's doable.
I think Cozumel has been overly generous in allowing people to visit without proof of a negative covid test. That was a bummer for those of us that live here. Yes, the shutdown hurt us enormously and yes, it is a double-edged sword. These working folks on the dive boats, in restaurants and bars, and tour guides go back to their families every day. They need to work but it has been stressful for them. Especially when daily, they had to deal with people that felt no need to comply with some simple safety rules here.
Sure hope you decide to come. I know many of the hotels have plans in place if you do test positive. For most, just keep doing what you are doing. Wear your mask, social distance and do the same when you get here to Cozumel.

BTW, Here's what the St Croix tourism board posts for requirements to enter. -

Visiting St. Croix Soon?
Every traveler (visitors AND residents) age five and older who enters the U.S. Virgin Islands is required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal AND to submit a COVID-19 test result prior to travel to avoid being denied boarding of their flight, enhanced health screenings and/or mandatory self-quarantine. The secure portal can be found at: www.usviupdate.com/travelportal.

The CDC antibody test? Coz is on that. The hotels are all posting their plan. Some are including the test AND a free stay if you need quarantine. Saw some with deeply discounted Q stay. That might mean you are very likely to pass. Heck of a lot easier and than the Canadians wanting a PCR. Still doable, but more of a pain.

Did I mention I got me shot?

...I'm not saying Mexico is a utopia as it ranks #16 but having visited Coz last month I felt far safer there than here...

Same comment here for the Tulum area last week. Lots of masks especially the closer you were to town center. Mosts restaurants required hand washing before entering and some took temperatures. Seems like 95 to 100 percent of restaurant workers wore masks whether sit down or walk up windows. Tables were somewhat spaced apart at all but one restaurant.

The worse part was the arrival to the Cancun airport at the immigration line. Lines were backed up to the top of the escalator (which was off) and beyond. It was worse than a can of sardines but everyone had on masks and some had on shields. Once I cleared immigration, it cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom