Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole point is: planning a dive with deco stops is safer than planning a dive within NDL.
I would not question that logic but for me it is as legit as saying that having safety divers around with spare gas is safer than just diving with a buddy. Isn’t it overkill?
Also, I would like to have the source of the intel stating that most DCS are dives when NDL was exceeded and poorly planned.

Ok, but let's go back on topic.
Nitrox.
Please tell me what of the two following options is safer:
1) Dive 30 min at 30m with air tables, so you are beyond NDL and you need to make a mandatory deco stop of 3m at 3 meters. Of course you must be deco-trained and deco-equipped.
2) As there is Nitrox-32 in your tank, a 30m/30 min dive is considered within NDL, so an unskilled basic OW diver can do it without any additional precaution.
For me, 1) is safer than 2).
And for you?
Hello. I am not deco trained. I might be one day but that’s currently not the case. My OP was about Nitrox but not as opposed to air for safety. However, your posts tend to make me think that diving without planning for deco is not safe.

Hello. I am not deco trained. I might be one day but that’s currently not the case. My OP was about Nitrox but not as opposed to air for safety. However, your posts tend to make me think that diving without planning for deco is not safe.
Angelo's POV doesn't have a lot of support. Planning to Not go into deco, but not panicking and knowing what to do if it were to happen anyway, THAT is safer.

Also, I would like to have the source of the intel stating that most DCS are dives when NDL was exceeded and poorly planned.
Me, too. I haven’t heard that one before. What I have heard, however, is that most incidents of DCS occur during dives that were within the NDL. Seems counterintuitive at first, but you also have to take into account that the vast majority of dives are within NDLs.

That’s simply not true. You don’t need to plan for deco to dive safely. Now, until you are trained for deco, it’s safest to keep clear of deco. It’s even safer if you aren’t riding the NDL.

For two equal dives, assuming the dive is within the MOD for the EAN gas, EAN will allow you more time under the NDL. So, if the dives are the same duration, the dive using EAN would be safer as you would have absorbed less N2. If you dive them both to the NDL, then the safety levels are comparable, though I would give a slight nod to the EAN dive as you’d be breathing less N2 during the ascent and Safety Stop.

Angelo's posts may give you that impression, but its not the case. Millions of dives are conducted every year, the decompression diving community is very small percentage of that. Few dive plans consider deco, most dive plans explicitly detail divers are to avoid deco. Many divers don't plan at all, they just watch their NDL timer count down and slowly ascend until their tank is low.

I would say that a mandatory safety stop is an oxymoron.

You have seen the PADI RDP and the small print about dark grey boxes, yes? Just checking.

For me the correct concept to give to all new divers is that they should not stop their training after the first OW course. It is not safe to dive with just this low level of knowledge, in the assumption that if one stays within the NDL there is no risk.
Better to get further training and reach the level when you can do safely deco dives.
Only at that point a diver is "complete" and can dive safely, knowing that, when sht happens, he has the resources (knowledge, skills, expertise, equipment, amount of air, etc.) to replan the dive, doing the deco if required.
I understand that this is just my opinion, and some major agencies prefer to sell a number of useless "specialty" certs instead of teaching the discipline and knowledge required for safe deco diving.
1. There is NO such thing as 'complete' diver.
2. Since when a deco dive is safer? How much do we know the subject?
3. You cannot teach discipline to everyone.

Finally, how long would it take to train a OW tec diver? It took me quite a while(money and time) to become one!

1. There is NO such thing as 'complete' diver.

THE COMPLETE DIVER.jpg

Finally, how long would it take to train a OW tec diver? It took me quite a while(money and time) to become one!

What do you mean OW tec diver? Do you mean an OW level who does planned Deco dives?
You do that in the BSAC Sports diving courses as a novice.

Back
Top Bottom