Backup mask fogging solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the interior version is designed to address the problems with the exterior version, one of which is the eye irritation.

I don't carry a backup mask on my dives. I use baby shampoo on my mask. I recently had a mask develop leaking after years, but not fogging after I cleared it multiple times on several dives before replacing it. Perhaps baby shampoo will keep a backup mask fog free even after being in water a while? I don't know.

The very very few times I required a spare mask underwater , I was just glad to have one, fog or no fog .

Now as a thing the best I've heard on here or anywhere with regard to your primary mask was from MaxBottomtime recently where he said, I think, defog one or two minutes before diving no later, so don't let the stuff dry on the glass
I will add I rinse with fresh from my bottle ( I take a huge bottle) as fresh has less minerals or something and bending to mask dip from high boats is sometimes difficult even for long people or even for those with a string

and more, I dived in with a one glass mask a bit back, perhaps not dived, but crash plonked headfirst like I do and broke the glass, swapped masks to the not spat in for quite a few immersions untreated spare out of my arse sack, amongst the oohs and the ahhs, bit of blood, (see I've told you all, the surface is the most dangerous place during your dives) and went drift diving.

Anyway drifting drifting fogging fogging, clearing with beautiful refreshing salt rich ocean water but of course more fogging and clearing so what the heck, I've taken off the mask and dived without it, so I'm seeing people looking at me drifting drifting you can see okay ish and certainly any approaching shadows almost in time before you crash into them.

Still more looking so in order to continue with the entertainment I spit a couple of times in the mask and do the finger job, well yeah I found some spit but spitting didn't work, you can't spit far in water, and licking and rubbing, well no good either, drifting drifting I'm thinking maybe some agave plant juices but I don't think they grow in the ocean ah ha
I scoop up some sand (very fine and dusty, closer to silt) with the mask and start rubbing that around, still no good but at least I've got the rest of them crashing into things and each other, and I'm laughing and they're shaking their heads and they're laughing, and I'm back to fogging and clearing and clearing and fogging

Pretty boring dive site!

full.jpg

so remember

Immerse yourselves!

I apply and rinse off baby shampoo right before each dive

My mask won't fog up

You could do the same with your spare
But I find it not worth it (time spent)
I put the shampoo on 4-5 days before dive day (just so I don't forget to) and don't rinse, just wipe it so no streaks. It can get a little streaky when walking to the shore, but one flushing cures that. I don't put any shampoo on in between the 2 dives and 2nd dive it's still good.

Was hoping someone had an ingenious solution. I carry a low volume backup mask in my exposure suit pocket when diving. If I start a dive with either my primary or backup mask ihave no problems but if I switch to backup mid dive it fogs badly. I have tried putting anti fog on it before stuffing in pocket to see if enough of it would stay on to prevent fogging to no avail.

aside from standard anti fogging treatments has anyone found a reliable way to prevent backup masks from fogging?

I don't know if you tried a zip lock bag, but an anti-fog product that I have sworn by for nearly 2 decades is Seavision.

I did an experiment on a liveaboard nearly 2 years ago because I could not find a point when my mask would even start to fog after multiple dives over multiple days. They originally made that claim on the product and that it "cleans as it clears".

Well, 27 dives over just over a week with only the original single spray and no fogging whatsoever.

I don't how many dives it would stay fog-free in your pocket, but I suspect a lot, so it would likely only need to be re-sprayed once in a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom