Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so Gordon, Aldora takes divers to places no other shop even tries. Again I no longer have financial interest in Aldora but I know what I set up…and special pristine dive sites with unusual big creatures can not be enjoyed by any other operation…they don't have the will nor the way.

Dave Dillehay

I didn't take his post to say otherwise. I took it as Aldora goes to the sites that TP goes PLUS northern sites that TP doesn't. Are you saying that Aldora does not also visit the more common sites?

I didn't take his post to say otherwise. I took it as Aldora goes to the sites that TP goes PLUS northern sites that TP doesn't. Are you saying that Aldora does not also visit the more common sites?

Of corse Aldora dives from Maricaibo to the normal northern sites. Yet when the weather is right the other side of the island, or the caves of sleeping sharks way up north, and plenty of pristine sites in between for experienced divers.

Dave Dillehay

Not so Gordon, Aldora takes divers to places no other shop even tries. Again I no longer have financial interest in Aldora but I know what I set up…and special pristine dive sites with unusual big creatures can not be enjoyed by any other operation…they don't have the will nor the way.

Dave Dillehay
Are there any west side dive sites south of Villablanca to which only Aldora will take divers? If so, what/where are they and why?

Dear Gordon,

Oddly, how can you begin to suggest that Aldora only serves the unique off the chart dive sites? Im sure you know better.

Of course Aldora serves all of the most popular west side dive sites, from Maricaibo and even around the corner to El Islote. They/we were never crazy enough to avoid the most popular sites in the Caribbean. But with nine boats and various levels of divers Aldora can, depending on weather conditions offer many sites on the eastside that few ever get to see. And when conditions are right, bucket list dives to the far north in mid channel for experienced divers…you ever get close to a 9 ft sleeping Caribbean Reef shark while surrounded by Eagle Rays and dolphins?

I set that up before I retired and am proud to have contributed to raise the bar of what divers can experience in Cozumel.

Enjoying my 12 year old son in Galveston thank you.

Dave Dillehay

When is the last time Aldora dived the east side? I haven't heard anyone mention it last few years.

Are there any west side dive sites south of Villablanca to which only Aldora will take divers? If so, what/where are they and why?
I don’t know if only Aldora goes but there are two that I only dove with Aldora, Maracaibo and El Islote.

Another difference that has not been mentioned in the last few pages :) is that Tres Pelicanos gives experienced divers more freedom to dive their tank and has a smaller more personal approach to their “family” of divers.

Dear Gordon,

Oddly, how can you begin to suggest that Aldora only serves the unique off the chart dive sites? Im sure you know better.
Hey, Dave, I didn't mean to suggest anything like that; I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I know that Aldora goes to the sites that other ops go to. I also know that Aldora sometimes takes divers to northern sites that few if any other ops go to. I was asking if there are any southern dive sites that Aldora goes to that few if any others do.

Having dived 2 days/ 4 dives with TP's and several with Aldora I didn't experience the "family" of divers with TP's. I have no complaints with either OP, they are just a little different. Dive both days with TP's was Bricks 1st dive and dive 2 was Cedral. Both are great sites and could do over and over without complaint. The "dive your own tank" to me is not an advantage when compared to being grouped with divers of the same ability and being able to take advantage of larger tanks. Diving DT dive 1 and San Juan dive 2 is pretty unique. Aldora doesn't seem to own the market on the northern sleeping shark caves though.

Having dived 2 days/ 4 dives with TP's and several with Aldora I didn't experience the "family" of divers with TP's. I have no complaints with either OP, they are just a little different. Dive both days with TP's was Bricks 1st dive and dive 2 was Cedral. Both are great sites and could do over and over without complaint. The "dive your own tank" to me is not an advantage when compared to being grouped with divers of the same ability and being able to take advantage of larger tanks. Diving DT dive 1 and San Juan dive 2 is pretty unique. Aldora doesn't seem to own the market on the northern sleeping shark caves though.

YES over the last few years others have tracked Aldora but this video should explain why big tanks of nitrox and complete familiarity of the area might be the Aldora advantage. All 5 of the coral heads average about 100 ft and Aldora has them all down on GPS for perfect drops.

Perhaps Memo could post his video of Aldora Adventures. That was made in 2005 when we first discovered the site.

dave dillehay

When is the last time Aldora dived the east side? I haven't heard anyone mention it last few years.

Last winter, We were on island and looking to dive the East side. Having heard Aldora sometimes took a boat over there, I called to ask about it and was told something like “we sometimes go there, but only with our regular customers”. So my personal experience is that its not really an available option.

Back
Top Bottom