ADV or no ADV that is the question :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
In a thead about a KISS RB, one participant said it doesn't use an adv.
I do the same.
I have really never understood the use of an ADV relatively to the weak points it brings.
ADV is used mainly when you go down but you must also adjust dry suit and wing so what is the point of using an ADV when a simple MAV is as good and efficient.
A MAV instead of an ADV gives you full control and never "surprise" you.
Personally I set my DIL MAV next to my dry suit inflator and with one hand I have access to DIL, DS and wing.
At constant depth, no ADV is also a reminder to recheck your ppo2 as you are sinking and it tells you you are metabolising a bit more oxy than you thinking (or the other way round!)
So ADV no ADV? :) :)

I don’t use a dilluent mav, I only use an adv.

(GUE JJ configuration)

This is enough for me when descending. I have to use my inflator for my wing, drysuit inflator, scooter and light. I also have to monitor PO2 and environment.

I like my ADV alot on my Fathom. I pretty much never turn it off and it never fires unless I want it to or in a situation where it's supposed to (dropping fast down a vertical shaft with a scooter). It's not a necessity, but it is nice if you're hands are busy with tasks and you need a little loop volume. I can keep doing what I'm doing and just use the ADV. My wife's ADV did lead to a flood recently though. It was her fault though. She shut her adv off and then descended head down with a scooter and her counterlung collapsed enough to pull the diaphragm into the adv and cut it. She got alot of water in her unit. She basically never uses her ADV, so she's probably going to get rid of hers. If either of us have another major failure from one, then I'd probably get rid of mine too. I think I'm the mninority though. More people seem to prefer no ADV.
Now when I trained on the sidewinder, I found the ADV to be an annoying piece of crap. It was very sensitive and would fire when you don't want it to, but wouldn't when you did. It is an awful awful awful ADV, I think bordering on the point of potentially being dangerous. If I would've bought a sidewinder the ADV would've been plugged.

I did away with mine ages ago. Pain in the backside and with back lungs never a really full inhale. Prone to leaking with helium vs air. BUT it does add to task loading on decent - lungs, wings, dry suit. Just go slow and stay ahead of the curve. I dive an MCCR with a 'leaky orifice' irefer to as a DOCCR (Dual orifice CCR) Mod 8

Just an ADV on my KISS... in-line shutoff for when I’m on O2 deco...

Same with the JJ (but no shut off)

_R

I'm a fan of the one on my Kisskat, but that is an upstream lever inside the counterlulng and works really well. I don't have a dil MAV on that unit and don't really ever shut it off. The orientation of it makes it very stiff though which is good.
I hate the one on my Meg, it is the plunger type and is utterly useless because it twists off to the side when you actually dive with min-loop and ends up not firing when it is supposed to.
I'm contemplating buying one of the new sidewinders and I will definitely be getting it without ADV as I would with any backmount unit because most of them suck...

The Divesoft BOV has an ADV built in, as does the Poseidon and I think that is a far better solution. Divesoft you have 4 positions on the BOV, OC, CC, CC/ADV *basically CC with a slit into the OC chamber to have it function as a ADV. The Poseidon doesn't give you the option to disable the ADV.

The ADV is clutch for cave diving though because if you have to bailout and have a roller coast exit, it makes sure you don't have to worry about adding gas to the unit when you go down and is also clutch on bailout breathers for the same reason.

I like having one so I am not apt to choose to dive without one, but I am also really picky about which kind that I would want to use.

Why would you have to worry about adding gas. Nature does it quite adequately... When it gets you can't get a full breath, you add.

I dive a rEvo which has an ADV (which can be disabled but not during a dive).

I tried for a long, long time to "dial" it in by adjusting the trigger pull pressure, but I couldn't get it "quite right."

As others have mentioned, I do like the ADV on a deep ocean descent, especially if there are currents and I'm trying to get down fast, if I've got a scooter, drysuit, etc. With the ADV, I can take a hard pull, get some Dil gas and keep moving.

But, I have added an ADV shutoff valve to my unit. I posted details here:

rEvo ADV Shutoff

I'm not recommending anybody else do this, just posting what I did. I generally enable the ADV during my pre-dive check and then disable it when I hit the bottom of the dive. If I need more Dil at any point, I can always easily add it via the MAV.

For a while, I had the ADV disabled entirely and just used the MAV. But, I prefer this solution. YMMV.

- brett

Why would you have to worry about adding gas. Nature does it quite adequately... When it gets you can't get a full breath, you add.

when the loop is not in your mouth, when you are doing a hot drop or have your hands occupied *i.e. running reels in cave diving* and need a hands-free method to at least keep it tolerable until you can get your hand on the mav, etc.

hey thanks for your blog beldridg, I think deep six has an adjusting by percentages of half millimetre tutorial on RBW

hey thanks for your millions of knowledge again tbone1004

it will be a little while

full.jpg

before I pretend to adjust mine again and then there's this

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom