DIR- Generic Guidance on Scubapro second stage for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And here's how you tie a necklace

full.jpg

I have to admit, I hadn't heard of Deep6 since they don't appear to have any dealers in California. Thanks for the recommendation. Looks really good.

No problem, they have a very different model than normal manufacturers. They do have dealers, but are adopting a more modern style of business for this industry. Of important note, especially as you get into tech diving is that not only is the first service free *including parts, just mail back to HQ*, but you can take a course to repair your own regs. If you take that course, they give you a free parts kit every other year so total cost of ownership is lower than any other reg on the market. The other thing to think about is that if you do a lot of travelling, this style of regulator requires 1 specialty tool *pin spanner*, vs Scubapro which requires several to repair so the tool kit to bring is much smaller/lighter.

And here's how you tie a necklace

View attachment 636899
I prefer double fisherman knots

No way I would look at anything other than sealed diaphragms for diving there though and while Scubapro has the MK19 again, it's not a brand that I would be looking at unless you work for a dive shop that is a Scubapro dealer. Way better options out there
What do I know, but piston 1st stages work perfectly fine in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia all four seasons of the year.

What do I know, but piston 1st stages work perfectly fine in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia all four seasons of the year.

that's why I lead that with "I would", there are plenty of people doing that kind of stuff with unsealed pistons, but I don't see any benefit to them so I wouldn't look at them and wouldn't recommend them.

that's why I lead that with "I would", there are plenty of people doing that kind of stuff with unsealed pistons, but I don't see any benefit to them so I wouldn't look at them and wouldn't recommend them.
100% of the runaway IP situations I see are sealed diaphragms. This problem is essentially non-existent with pistons.

100% of the runaway IP situations I see are sealed diaphragms. This problem is essentially non-existent with pistons.

I'll give you that, though I'm not sure it is better than getting a scored piston. Keep an IP gauge around and use it as part of pre-trip checks. I'd take that over risk of scored piston from poor sealing techniques which I have had irritatingly experienced

i used the MK25 with the g260 second stage for fundies, i have Mk25's for my dubs and all my stages/decos except 100% o2. never had a problem, they work great. For Monterey id get the EVO version, it has a coated spring to help prevent ice forming (not a problem in Monterey but if you go to colder water...) many of my dive buddies use the Mk25 and we are not gentle on gear, diving almost every weekend.

I am not an expert on ScubaPro Regs but I've been diving them for 36 years. Never had an issue with them diving in warm water as well as cold and very cold water. First stages I've used include MK5, MK10, MK15, MK16, MK 20 and finally MK25. Multitude of second stages from the R190 to G250 to D400 to S550 to S600.

I would like to know, why scubapro is not high on the list for DIR configurations.

As far as i know, their regulators have a high quality. Only downside is their mediocre customer service and its hard to get into a service class. Or am i wrong?

I dive the mk17/g260 and hear only good stuff about m17, mk25 and now the mk19.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom