No Drop Bottles for 30M+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also divers who are novices or newer are not doing 30m deco dives either I would assume? It's a bit more than basic diving when you have to gas plan for deco dives yes? :) Yes I should have written in it a different thread.

I was just about to edit my last reply to include the part about backgas deco on air, with a single.
Generally not a good idea to promote to novices :)

I was just about to edit my last reply to include the part about backgas deco on air, with a single.
Generally not a good idea to promote to novices :)

Yes it was a question about bottles at safety stop depth and as usual we go off tangent lol. It's good they known there are courses they can take for this when more experienced. Quite a few threads on exceeding NDL or light back gas deco on the forums.

Yes it was a question about bottles at safety stop depth and as usual we go off tangent lol. It's good they known there are courses they can take for this when more experienced. Quite a few threads on exceeding NDL or light back gas deco on the forums.

Agreed :)

To get back on topic...
I've never seen our club hang a bottle off the boat, but those dives are rarely deeper than 20-25m.
If we're doing deco dives in any of the deep quarries around here we usually hang a 40 of O2 at 6m where we enter/exit, otherwise it's left in the car which is parked just besides the entry/exit point.

Just out of curiosity as I am not familiar with it, is that BSAC's standard to calculate required gas? Increase SAC by 50%, ignore gas needed by a buddy or time to solve issues in case of emergency?
The current guidance is for Ocean Divers and Sports Divers whom haven’t done the Accelerated Decompression course to plan 25Lt/min with 1/3 usage outbound, 1/3 inbound, and surface with 1/3 of gas required for the dive.

* Ocean Divers are limited to 20m.
* Sports Divers are limited to 35m after being signed-off at 25, 30 and 35m by an instructor.

With experience individuals should them use a breathing rate appropriate to their usage.

This lass solved her slipped tank underwater. Now I would have switched to my longer secondary but is she now a technical diver? lol

View attachment 635846
Unless the Deep diver course has changed since 2018, Dive 3 requires the student to complete a simulated 8 min emergency deco stop, and breath off the drop tank for at least 1 minute. So actually it is required to be used on Deep diver, but yes on DM courses the candidates are only trained to rig them.

The following standards have been in place since July 2008.

Standards for Dive #3:
• Perform an 8-minute simulated emergency decompression stop
at 5 metres/15 feet before surfacing, while breathing from an
emergency air source for at least one minute of the total time.
Explanation of that standard:
2. Student divers perform an 8-minute simulated emergency decompression
stop while breathing from an emergency air source for at least one
minute.
Debriefing for that standard:
In addition, talk about
the 8-minute simulated emergency decompression stop at 5 metres/15
feet before surfacing and how student divers handled breathing from an
emergency air source for at least one minute of total time. Ask student
divers to discuss what they used for an emergency air source (alternate
air source second stage, pony bottle, H- and Y-valves). Again, ask divers
to elaborate on what worked, what didn’t, and how things may be done
differently the next time.​

You can do dives much deeper on air and not exceed NDL and ascend to the surface as well. 40m is not the max depth on air for recreational for some agencies. I posted the 45m dive I did on air in this thread.
Yes you can go much deeper than 40 m on air. I think my computer permits me to go to 62m but I can only spend 1 minute there before going into decompression. In Europe the general definition is that if decompression is required its technical diving, if decompression is not required it is recreational diving, depth and gas mix have no bearing. Recreational diving is also frequently restricted to 30m and if diving over 20m a computer has to be worn. This is a general insurance requirement.
People who dive near or exceed NDL should make themselves aware of the similarities between DCI and Covid 19 and be aware that there is the possibility that asymptomatic / mild DCI may make you more susceptible to serious Covid 19

Recreational diving is also frequently restricted to 30m and if diving over 20m a computer has to be worn. This is a general insurance requirement.

As far as I am aware, this is not the reality in Portugal. 40m is generally considered recreational if there is no deco or overhead. There are no requirements to use a computer.

I am almost sure DAN Europe does not require it insurance-wise.

Yes you can go much deeper than 40 m on air. I think my computer permits me to go to 62m but I can only spend 1 minute there before going into decompression. In Europe the general definition is that if decompression is required its technical diving, if decompression is not required it is recreational diving, depth and gas mix have no bearing. Recreational diving is also frequently restricted to 30m and if diving over 20m a computer has to be worn. This is a general insurance requirement. People who dive near or exceed NDL should make themselves aware of the similarities between DCI and Covid 19 and be aware that there is the possibility that asymptomatic / mild DCI may make you more susceptible to serious Covid 19

Recreational diving is often set at 30m by dive centers who do not want divers going deeper unless the dive site calls for a deeper dive. There are many dive sites with wrecks that are deeper than 30m. Some max out at 34m depth so can be done on nitrox.
BSAC Sports diving are deco dives on air / nitrox and are recreational dives. I think you have to be careful where you claim the Europe general definition as each country applies its own regulations.

Also I dive in Asia so EU regulations are irrelevant to me. The life insurance and travel insurance I have do not have same conditions as in other countries.

My Shearwater is 57m at PPO2 1.4
AIR MODE.jpg

I pretty well agree with what you say and in a brief post such as I make its not going to cover all the ifs, buts and exceptions. My local club are all recreational divers but well over 50% are decompression divers (what PADI and other certifying bodies refer to as technical), most have rebreathers and a fair number are qualified for any gas, any depth and have been down to over 100m for extended periods.

As far as I am aware, this is not the reality in Portugal. 40m is generally considered recreational if there is no deco or overhead. There are no requirements to use a computer.
I agree down to 40m is generally regarded as recreational diving. It is the holiday makers or dive centers own insurance that puts on additional conditions or depth limits. One of that largest, possibly the largest holiday insurers in the UK limits scuba to 30 m on their typical policy. One dive centre I dive with on Lanzarote limits their dives to 30m, another requires additional insurance for dives between 30 and 40m. In Madeira they insist on a computer for dives over 20m, the outfit I dive with on the Algarve certainly insist on a computer over 30m and I think 20m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom